• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

map<int, *CSURFACE> ????

This topic is 5528 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to do this: map Maps; ...but the compiler screams at me when I try. It will, however, let me do it without the ''*''. I want to be able to do this: int mapID; CSURFACE mSurface = new CSURFACE(filename, mapID); // mapID is passed by reference, filled with ''1000'' for example. Maps[mapID] = *mSurface; ... and then later, do this: Maps[1000]->SetChar(...etc.) How do I do this? I''m guessing it''s somehow POSSIBLE to do a map with a pointer as it''s value...

Advertisement
Basic C++ syntax error : a pointer is TYPE* not *TYPE. Thus map<int, CSURFACE*> Maps;.

And keep in mind that you will have to manually walk through the map and delete the pointers before destroying the map... otherwise you will have memory leaks.

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]

Holy guacamole, that explains alot! That makes perfect sense though, because you say:

CSURFACE *pSurface;

not:

*CSURFACE pSurface;

... seems so obvious now. Thanks!

I''m aware of memory leak issues. Thanks for the tip, though.

• Advertisement