• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xer0

How Long Did It Take You?

This topic is 5679 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have started learning C++ (again) just this morning. I had already made a couple atempts when I was younger, like 12, but after a few hours I lost intrest. I am now 14 and have been learning to program for a day. I''ve so far got a gerneral idea of the Windows API and Commands, but I''m still having big trouble with my understanding alot of this stuff, and I have very sucky syntaxx. I dont expect to learn how to program overnight, but i was just wandering how long it would take me to start programing decent games with medioker syntax. Wich brings me to the question: How long did it take for you to get to the point where you could semi-fluently program games like tetris clones ect.??? (this question is mainly directed twards people who program using the DirectX libs, as that is what i plan to learn using) Kuddos!

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
My current game, Incendium, it is about 1/4 complete and has been 1 1/2 years. www.geocities.com/gamespp5004 for more info about the game and some other stuff

It took me 3 months to learn DirectX 6 an C++. My code was ugly and the best I did was a pong clone. So I bought come DX8 books and learned d3d which was a big mistake cuz my code was still ugly without structure. So now I''m back to using 2D games with DirectX 8 and its been about a year and a half and still the best I''ve done is pong.

---
Brent Gunning | My Site

Guest Anonymous Poster
hey i''m still in the process of learning.. i''ve been working on game programming for a few months now.. it took me about two months i''d say before i programmed tetris along with a tutorial.. but i''ve had experience with C++ for a while now.. I''d recommend taking the time to become really familiar with C++ first.. then start reading a bit about directx/opengl.. if you really want to do this then take your time and learn things step by step.. i''d say if you wanna work hard.. try making a game in six months.. otherwise figure a year.. it all depends on how fast you learn and how hard you work at it..

QBASIC - 5 months
PASCAL - 2 weeks
VB - 4 weeks
C++ - 3 weeks
OpenGL - 2 weeks

My first real game(pong) was made in the last month of QBASIC.

"Im from Canada so they say im slow, eh"

I know whenever i tell people this, they laugh profusly at me while chanting "lol noob!" , but I was sorta thinking about going down to Visual Basic 6 and learning to program games there, VB6 is SOOOOOOO easy, and i think i might learn c++ faster if i use it as a steping stone so to speak...

[edited by - Xer0 on November 30, 2002 12:17:27 AM]

quote:
Original post by Xer0
I know whenever i tell people this, they laugh profusly at me while chanting "lol noob!" , but I was sorta thinking about going down to Visual Basic 6 and learning to program games there, VB6 is SOOOOOOO easy, and i think i might learn c++ faster if i use it as a steping stone so to speak...

[edited by - Xer0 on November 30, 2002 12:17:27 AM]

Or you could learn C++ first and then learn VB really fast.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!