How Long Did It Take You?

Started by
10 comments, last by Xer0 21 years, 4 months ago
Basica - 1 year
QBASIC - 2 years (ages 10-12)

Visual Basic - 1 year.
C++ - about 3 or 4 years.

I wrote a pretty good amount of some basic and fun games in QBasic then took a break from programming (my first cool graphical game was a little crosshair that shot things as they flew towards you, with little beeps and everything). I got into some CS classes in high school Visual Basic, and a bit of C++. Programmed some fairly crappy text based games in that time.
I''ve been studying C++ for the past couple of years in college and high school and really enjoy it.
There really is a lott of enjoyment to be had in taking your time and learning how to code everything correctly and really understanding what it is you''re typing without rushing. I wouldn''t worry too much about how long it will take you to start making games, you''ll be learning for a long time to come, so I figure you might as well take pleasure out of it instead of just coding for the finished product.
Advertisement
hm... i started with some shitty game-toolkit intended to create wolfenstein-like games when i was about 12 or so (really few about algorithms, more like defining regions for the map editor, making weapon-animations, creating entitys)... i did this for about 2months, later on (14 or so) i learnt qbasic using the helpfiles given (about 4 months but not extensive). then i learnt c++ with "c++ in 21 days"( athor: jesse liberty) (about 2 months).
then i stardet studying informatics at the university( i was 16... kinda complicated to explain ) and learnt java there (3months, 3h per week).

now i feel like i could programm all the data behind a game like character values, inventorys, etc. fluedly but stuff like graphics will need some time to get used with.

ps:

i strongly recommend u learning programming at your age since this will give u lots mathematic advantage and will make u think different of some things ... but start learning OO right from the beginning coz'' learning OO while allready having learnt structural (wasnt it called like that) might couse some problems.

---- sig coming soon

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement