• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ca_priest

how many diffrent animations for smoothness

This topic is 5678 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How many diffrent sprites ( each having a small alteration, representing a phase of walking ) would i have to have in order to show smooth motion in a 2d rpg. I don''t me all together total, but just for lets say walking east. How many diffrent images are needed of a single sprite moving east to look nice and smooth. The frame rate is 60 fps.

Advertisement
It depends on how many steps the character takes each second...

A basic general rule of thumb is that people take three steps per second during a fairly brisk paced yet relaxed walk (roughly 3.5 MPH)...three steps as in left foot, right foot, left foot...so in two seconds the walk cycle has repeated itself three times...so the would make for about 40 frames of animation at 60 frames per second (2/3 of a second for a cycle to complete itself)...

Ok but suppose for just a single step, from standing still, to have fully extended the left leg, do i need just two sprites?, one standing still and one with the left leg extended fully?. or should i have one standign still, one with the left leg a little bit forward, then another with the leg a little more forward, and so on, until the left leg is fully extended?

Picking the right keyframes (extremes) is a job of its own.
To create some good looking animation, you might be interested in some example/tutorial books. There are some really good ones from Disney, or do a search on the work of Muybridge.
The latter is rather old (early 1900''s), but still considered the most useful animation book ever. It contains hundreds of animation sequences (photographs) of people/animals in motion.

quote:

Traditional cell animation is shot at 12fps, to give you a real indication.

That''s true, but don''t forget that every cell is usually photographed twice, making only 6 unique frames per second. If I remember right my game prof. said 6 to 8 frames per walk cycle (left foot forward, right foot forward) is normal.

D

quote:

That''s true, but don''t forget that every cell is usually photographed twice, making only 6 unique frames per second. If I remember right my game prof. said 6 to 8 frames per walk cycle (left foot forward, right foot forward) is normal

not so fast...film is shown at 24FPS...typicaly animation is filmed "in twos"...each drawing is photographed twice...meening there are 12 drawings per second...not 6 (which would require each drawing to be shot 4 times)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!