• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to switch off 3D features?

This topic is 5651 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I written some application with directx8, which draws the 2D graphic by means of D3DXSPRITE. The question is how can I optimize the graphic output? Because on PC without 3D graphic card I have around 17 FPS, with 3D graphic card I have up to 85 FPS. Maybe there is posibility to switch off all 3D features? Thanks

Advertisement
I use some functionality from DX8: alpha blending, loading textures from memory etc. which are not present in DDRAW, therefore it may be difficult to rewrite drawing code.

I hope DirectX 9 will be soon released, because it seems that the 2D will be back with this version.

2D is still alive in DX8, and in my opinion much easier to use than DirectDraw ever was.

Look into ID3DXSprite. If your 3D card sucks, though, you''re better off losing the fancy features and dropping back to DirectDraw 7. Unfortunately, DX7 docs seem to have disappeared off the face of the planet. I''m sure you''ll be able to find them somewhere though.

Tom

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!