• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BB-Pest

operators: a * (-b)

This topic is 5827 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i''ve got a simple class looking like this

class example
{
private:
    int i1, i2;
}

now i want to do stuff like:

example e1, e2, e3;
//filling e1, e2 with content

e3 = e1 * (-e2)

how do i define the operator in front of e2 so that it multiplicates every value with (-1)? [ps] multiplicating is not the problem but defining the operator

Advertisement

class example
{
int i1, i2;
public:
example(int i = 0, int j = 0)
: i1(i), i2(j)
{}

example operator * (const example& e) const
{
return example(i1 * e.i1, i2 * e.i2);
}

example operator - () const
{
return example(-i1, -i2);
}
};

[edited by - sark on December 1, 2002 9:07:48 AM]

thx... did not think it was that easy

[edit]
sry for doublepost
edit by ze: Then do something about it. It's very possible to simply click "Edit" and then check the double-post box and "Make Modifications." Deleted double post.

[edited by - zealouselixir on December 1, 2002 4:31:53 PM]

Hrm. I got my doubts with that post... You are overloading the ''-'' operator to make everything negative... but this means you can''t do ''e1 - e2'' anymore, you would have to do ''e1 + -e2''. I don''t have experience with operator overloading, but this seems like a problem to me ^_^ Doesn''t C++ make a difference between the two different uses of ''-''?

Notice that there aren''t any parameters for the - operator that was overloaded. If you wanted to do e1 - e2, then you would overload the - operator again, with an example as a parameter.

example example::operator -(const example &rhs)
{
return(example((i1 - rhs.i1), (i2 - rhs.i2)));
} // end -

quote:
Original post by YoshiN
Notice that there aren''t any parameters for the - operator that was overloaded. If you wanted to do e1 - e2, then you would overload the - operator again, with an example as a parameter.

example example::operator -(const example &rhs)
{
return(example((i1 - rhs.i1), (i2 - rhs.i2)));
} // end -

yep... i knew hot to overloading the - operator for ''a-b''... but i did not knew how to use the same operator for (-a).

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!