• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for forum software

This topic is 5559 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m looking for a free forum for my website. It has to run on Apache and MySQL, it needs to be fast, and [most of all] it needs to be secure. I was looking at phpbb, but I heard it wasn''t very secure (or is it?). Also, it lacks a feature that I like: the ability to view recent posts. It can view unanswered posts, but that isn''t (IMHO) very useful. I was also looking at YaBB SE. I haven''t tried it, yet. Is it any good? The website Linux Junior uses it for their forums. It looks nice and seems fast enough, but I don''t know about the security of it. Also, on the Linux Junior site, the recent posts feature is sub-optimal. I don''t know if that can be tweaked or if that is hard coded, but I don''t like the having the replies to the posts count as separate posts (also like the flipcode forums) and I don''t like having the post actually show. Some other software I found via a sourceforge search include L-Forum, B1G BB, Maximus, dpBB, Better Bulletin Board, and thwBoard (German). I have not tried or even looks closely at most of these forums, but maybe you know about them. Any other suggested boards I should be looking at? Thanks for your help.

Advertisement
Why not write your own? Its pretty easy (Ive done it).

My version looks suspiciously similar to GameDev's: Here. In fact, my forums source is there too (in the Downloads section). Feel free to nose around.

[edited by - Evil Bill on December 1, 2002 4:11:41 PM]

I was thinking about that. I know php, MySQL, Perl, python, etc, so I imagine it would be possible. In fact, I have written a news posting thing (which is similar). The thing is I''m not a web programmer, so I was concerned with security. Do you have any suggestions (or website links) for writting secure, large php programs? Would php be the best language or should I use Perl, python, c, c++, or something else? It would be kind of interesting to write the forum using c and MySQL I imagine it would be fast and secure that way, too, but c isn''t designed for making web applications.

My version is written in C++ (not OOP). To be honest i''m not sure how secure it is. My version doesn''t use MySQL or anything, i just store the user profile in one file (because the profile structure is a fixed size), and the messages in a file of their own (because the message size can vary). Its pretty secure i believe, the only way to get someones password is either at the client end (keyboard logger, socket analyser, etc) or to just keep resending to the server until the password is correct. However, the passwords are stored as plain text in the profiles at the server side, so if someone is to hack into the server, they can easily get everyones password. At the moment, i''m considering doing some simple XOR encryption to the users file, and ive got a large ToDo list as it is.

You could try The CGI Resource Index for some free forum programs, but i can''t comment on how secure they are.

HTH

Thank you for your responses. I might try writing a forum some day, but I don't have time to write one right now and write a game among all the other things I have to do (school, work, etc).

I installed YaBB SE (link is above in my first post) on my home server along with phpbb (link above, too). I like YaBB SE better. It has the features that I like and seems a little more completed than phpbb (phpbb is very nice, too. If they add a few more features that I like, I'd go with them).

I think I'll go with YaBB SE unless anyone can give me a good reason not to. I won't be finalizing the web site until January sometime, so I have time to do some more shopping

[edited by - spiffgq on December 1, 2002 12:05:17 AM]

• Advertisement