• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Model magic, and level building:

This topic is 5557 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all: I am working on a new game. The major bottle-necks in my development, have been understanding how to use/implement a 3d engine, how to build the different levels, and finally ... how to create models from scratch. Wait, I guess that''s most of the work then, isn''t it?? I''m beginning to feel (hobbyist) game programmers all have to reinvent the wheel (engine, models) before proceeding to the actual content of their game(s) ... My question: Isn''t all this effort on desiging everything from scratch a waste? Should I just base my designs on quake 3 levels, forget about making my own? And, should I just go ahead and use pre-exisiting md2, md3 models? I have a lot more confidence in my programming skills, as opposed to my modelling skills (i.e. not so good at milk shape). Put another way, if there are already "mod" tools out there, why go through the trouble of building your own custom level and models??? Here is the tutorials page that got me thinking: http://www.gametutorials.com/Tutorials/opengl/OpenGL_Pg5.htm

Advertisement
Actually, I think it''s good to experiment with reinventing the wheel, especially if you''re new to writing games. That way, you understand the basics of level editors, and script-based editing of previously set up stuff. Once you do it the hard way once, then you should take shortcuts, such as using level-editors. Just make sure you know how to do low-level stuff if the tool you are using doesn''t do everything you need.

Well, yeah, sure, use Quake 3 levels and models to get your engine up and running. However, you''ll find that one day, you''ll want to create your own levels and stuff. If you want to create your own levels, you have two options: create your own level editor, or use something like q3radiant. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. I am writing (from scratch) a q3radiant-style editor. I didn''t have to (I could have used Quake 3 maps) but I chose to challenge myself (a decision I''m kinda regretting, now it''s getting difficult ). It''s interesting to do, but it''s time-consuming, and it''s re-inventing the wheel. Like I said, I chose to do it. While I''m writing my map editor, I might use Quake 3 maps and models while I make and test my engine, now that gametutorials.com have posted their excellent Quake 3 map format tutorials. Then, I can load in my maps, made in my editor...

Coding Stuff ->  [ iNsAn1tY Games | DarkVertex | How To Do CSG | Direct3D Vs. OpenGL | Google ]
Fun Stuff    ->  [ Evil T-Shirts | Stick-Based Comedy | You''re Already Here | The Best Film Reviews ]

We re-invent the wheel because it's fun and because we learn game programming techniques and theory on the way

edit: It might be a waste doing it more than once tho..

/* Everything IMHO */
-Luctus

[edited by - Luctus on December 2, 2002 1:25:23 PM]

• Advertisement