• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Network games and maps?

This topic is 5528 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hmmm.. What is the bes way to do this? Server-side or client side??? There are advantages with both, but still alot of dis-advantages. Like, if i make it client side, clients could end up with different results?! I do collision detection server-side, but i''m not shure about the map-collision. Please give me some pointers here. thanx

Advertisement
Map collision is too much overhead for a network, so it should be done client-side. That's what makes client wall-hacking in games like Half-Life, UT, Quakes, etc... possible. Client is a dummy terminal that only renders, receives and sends commands to the server. Game rules like weapon shooting is done server side. Client sends a vector header to the server for a given shot and server performs a scantrace of the vector and processes further cosequences. Of course, the server keeps the score of the game an all client stats. I suggest you look at Quake 1 and Quake 2 source codes available at www.idsoftware.com

[edited by - MOVSW on December 1, 2002 7:19:27 PM]

• Advertisement