• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what happens to models when used in a prog?

This topic is 5558 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If you create a model of a character in Maya or Studio Max (Ive never used either of these, but I think thats what they are for), and then somehow load it into your opengl program, Once it gets into your program, is it some sort of special entity? Or is it just a bunch of polygons just like every other opengl object? The reason i ask is that in many games, the characters have a completly different look and ''feel'' to them then the rest of the scenery. I thought it was possible that the models created in Maya were some sort of other special program or object that can be used inside opengl programs, but is not really the same as the rest of opengl stuff. hope this makes sense ----- It''''s not my fault I''''m the biggest and the strongest; I don''''t even exercise!

Advertisement
When You load a model it has nothing to do with opengl its just a standard c++ stuct/class/arrays and things then you make things like drawing routines and other managment tools that may use opengl for drawing. Most file types are just Polygons and points, texture cords and maybe normals, I could guess that some file formats my include other Higher level objects, but most are triangles.

As for a diffrent look it might be lighting or any other aspect that be changed or added depending on what is drawn, Like terrain is commonly Lightmapped while people and hands and such are done in realtime. something like that would produce a diffrent look.

[edited by - Xero-X2 on December 1, 2002 10:18:39 PM]

No matter what type of model file you have, it always comes down to arrays of polygons, normals, and texture coords. OpenGL does not have built in support for ANY 3D file type. That means you have to write your own file loader or get a library to load it for you, and then you can call write a function to render it in the scene where it belongs.

"You TK''ed my chicken!"

• Advertisement