• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fistandantilus

Use Cases and Game Development

This topic is 5733 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
You can fold use-cases into any scenario in which one entity provides a service to another.

I''m not convienced that the typical use-case based development would work well. I think more difficulty arises with the interaction of various scenarios with a real-time simulation than the typical data-processing software. It would be useful to have a set of use-cases that deliniated these interactions, but merely having all the use-cases documented will not lead you to a design that will work. Often this is the case - most use-cases are orthogonal, so to speak, and a design decision made to affect one use-case will not break another use-case.

I find that they''re useful depending on how you use them and if your development process supports them. You can build interaction/sequence diagrams off use cases, define packages and classes, and build activity diagrams - all of which help in the analysis and design of the system.

Kevin "Khawk" Hawkins
CEO and News Director, GameDev.net
Software Engineer, Raydon Corporation
Author, OpenGL Game Programming
Developer Diary

As part of my Software Development Diploma course this year
(i just finished my 1st year), we had to study use-case diagrams etc, and my teacher had experience with graphics engines etc. Use-cases can be very helpful, as long as you use them for the right ''events''. They are most helpful only in getting a point across to other programmers though.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!