• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ogl2k

OpenGL FX in OpenGL

This topic is 5734 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im thinking the way of make a hot effect in the screen like the ones in Gran Turismo or Devil May Cry. Somebody knows how to make it in OpenGL?. Tahnks a lot.

Advertisement
goto www.picturesofthesun.com or www.steamyshowerscenes.com copy a pic. put it on a quad and move it around

i think he means wavy heat atmosphere effects like you see when you look closely parallel to a really hot surface in the summer. like how it makes things morphs and wiggle slightly as you look through the hotter air (differing refractive properties of hot v. cold atmosphere, etc).

-me

[edited by - Palidine on December 3, 2002 5:35:49 PM]

You could render the affected scene onto an off-screen target, i.e. to a texture, and render that texture to a simple mesh of triangles that move about in semi-random oscillations. To get an even prettier effect, you could use a shader and an animated UV-map to make the oscillations pixel-perfect.
I admit that this solution is a bit of an overkill, but it does look very nice.

- JQ
Full Speed Games. Are back.

The effect im looking for is like a distorsion, like when you look at the surface of a road in a very hot summer day or above a flame.

Do you know what i say?

quote:
Original post by JonnyQuest
we've pretty much figured out

Try this one then? :-)

Remember Predator , that ... uhmm... "classic" Arnold movie? The predator has an invisibility suit which is really cool, doesn't he? How would one go about to achieve that effect without shaders?

My first idea was to use a stencil buffer and do something creative in it. Don't know exactly what though.

Or how about blinding light, like silhouetting the monsters in the beginning of Monsters Inc (the Right stuff scene)? Trace the outlines using some outline trick (posted for both OpenGL and DX here and on flipcode)... but what next? A white texture with alpha but ... what next? No shaders, it's sort of trivial with shaders, isn't it?

(I'm just adding neat effects I don't know the solution for - maybe someone does... maybe we should try to collect them on GD.net...)

[edited by - Teodric on December 4, 2002 11:36:45 AM]

Anyone knows how to made this effect using vertex or pixel shaders under OpenGL?. Im looking for some info of ARB_Vertex_Program but i dont know if this is the correct way.

I dunno... this one is stumping me too....... i can get an individual predator effect on single entities(with a refraction vertex program) but what im thinking is reading the framebuffer back and texturing it onto a quad and applying my refraction shader on it. im stumped though, too tired, too mcuh weed, drink, and lack of sleep recently.....

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!