Simulating an "Internet" for testing

Started by
8 comments, last by LonelyStar 21 years, 4 months ago
Hi everyone, I am working on an Multiplayer Game which should run over the Internet. It is a litte difficult to always asked a friend whenever I want to test a little part of my Code. Of course, I can use the loopback device (which I do most of the time) but to test certain things that is just not real enough! Is their a tool with which I can simulate an realistic net? Thanks! Nathan
Advertisement
By "realistic" do you mean:

Latency, packet loss, name resolution etc?
[email=direwolf@digitalfiends.com]Dire Wolf[/email]
www.digitalfiends.com
I am not sure how you want to simulate each clients. One solution is to create threads with different response times. For example, one thread might respond to the server every 10ms and another thread might respond every 13 ms, etc.

Kuphryn
Maybe you could buffer any packets that are sent, but delay sending them by a random amount?

http://www.stodge.net - the powerhouse in personal commentary
---------------------http://www.stodge.net
Actually, I am also looking for something similar. I don''t want to do the simulation inside my client/server, because I want to also see how the things happen at a socket level, not at a higher level...
I want something that would add some random lag, and soem disconnections too...
Set your net to 10MBits then transfer a lots of huge files from machine 1 to machine 2 and at the same time transfer another Gigs files from machine 2 to machine 1 and play your game with that traffic, I guess you''ll feel some sort of slowdown
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
I believe the DX8 SDK comes with a program which will run in the background and simulate lag and packetloss type things. I''m not sure if it only works for DirectPlay though - worth a look.

Alternatively, write a program which sits between your server and any clients which will do the same thing. The clients connect to this, thinking it is the server and the server sends messages to this as well, thinking it is the client. It shouldn''t be too hard to write and the beauty of it is - any bug turns into a feature

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Trying is the first step towards failure.
I use a direct cable connection as you can use it like a LAN if you connected them with "Serial Direct Connection" and it works fine for me as I get about 5kb/s and if I set to higher transfer values, I have heavy packetloss :D.

Visit: Lejendz
Get Game Programming Gems III, a nice book like all of them.

It comes with a chapter about network stuff, and the CD also has a tool to exactly do stuff like set latency, percent of packet drop, percent of package doubling, and so on.

Really worth a look.
-----The scheduled downtime is omitted cause of technical problems.
Well, buying a book is out of the question for me, since money IS a problem... Is there any way of getting that program, off the net? Do you know it''s name, maybe?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement