• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob_Loach

To give source code or not to give source code, that is the question.

This topic is 5801 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been working on my 3rd game for about two and a half months now and it''s really quite good. It uses an engine that I made myself. The engine is a combination of a bunch of other smaller engines that I created. The engine could easily be used to create nice looking games in other genres in the future. But right now, I''m debating whether or not to give out the source code. I know that if I developped this game more and made the engine a bit better, it could actually sell and make profit. But what do you guys (or girls ) suggest? Rob Loach OverTech Technologies ----------- "Life moves pretty fast. If you don''''t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Advertisement
GIVE GIVE GIVE GIVE
LOL, no really i should learn a lot from you

[edited by - michel on December 2, 2002 1:53:11 PM]

I''d give out the source. Realistically you really don''t have to worry about people making a spectacular game with your engine and you getting ripped off by it. There is too much additional work that goes on to make that a problem.

I''d GPL it with an option to license the source if they don''t want to distribute their modifications. That way you too could get the added benefit of people making enhancements to your engine. This is what iD software uses with the Quake 2 engine.

And one more thing.. any money says that 2 years from now it will just be source sitting on your hard drive doing nothing anyway. Give to the community. It''s a good feeling. =)

---
Michael Tanczos

I''m no lawyer, but there are a couple of things to consider.

First if you license the game under the GPL then other people can contribute to it but they can''t use it commercially. And you can still sell it (without their contributions) because you still earn the code.

Secondly, to sell it''s going to need to be pretty good, because there are a lot of good projects out there which are LGPL and so can be used commercially. E.g Crystal Space, OGRE, etc.

ya. i''m going to have to agree with the other posters so far. i''m generally of the opinion that any hobby work should be open sourced or free sourced or wahtever. mostly it makes sense to do that (at least for me) b/c i''m not really interested in doing anything commercial with the work. it''s more of idea/concept/technology exploration. and it''s definitely a really fun feeling just giving out your source code. it''s such a powerful teaching tool for people trying to get started in the technology.

-me

Guest Anonymous Poster
let those lazy people make their own engines. open-source is exactly like plagarism. why would you give something you worked at for countless hours to just give it away for free. screw it!

I really think you should give for free, just include a "readme"
file saying. "Please include my name in your game credits" or
something like that. A well commented engine is a powerfull source
for begginers to learn from.

Linux is totally free, and it''s source code is free aswell, Linux
is the result of people who worked for free, and it''s a exelent
OS.

The only reason Linux is not much used as windows is the lack of
software......

Now publish your source-code for free in the internet, you''ll get
lots of programmers thanking you for your offer, and that MUST
be a great feeling!!!

Kamikaze

Thanks for all this feedback guys...

I''ll talk with my boss and tell him what you guys suggested.

Thanks again,

Rob Loach
OverTech Technologies
-----------
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don''''''''t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it."
- Ferris Bueller

If you don''t plan on selling it, I might release it under a BSD-style license, as it provides more freedom with what someone could do with the source code, which is why I tend to prefer the BSD license to the GPL license - it actually makes the source ''open'' as in ''you can do whatever you want with it and you don''t have to give anything back.''

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!