Implementing a mod system

Started by
8 comments, last by Chman_a11w 21 years, 4 months ago
i''ve alwais wanted to know how developpers do to make their game supporting mods... anyone can explains me in detail please ? thx Ch*man
- Artist on the web -- Lwjgl Ressources & blog -
Advertisement
no one can helps me ?
I don''t understand your question. Some companies allow their games to be moddable by releasing source code, while other games like diablo 2 require the modders themselves to find a way to mod the game themselves.
I think Chman_a11w is talking about skins or something.
And so, the evil religion thread stole the wonderful "What the Heck?" thread's throne. Truly a sad day for gamedev.
Have the exe load the game content from a different folder for the different mod. This is what Quake 2/3 does.

- Rob Loach
OverTech Technologies
-----------
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don''t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it."
- Ferris Bueller
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
To make your game moddable, just make it easily configurable. Pack a lot of the main variables in your game into a textfile, then when your game runs you can read these variables in.

But if you want your game to have full-blown mods like half-life or quake, you''ll need a scripting system to let the modder do what he wants to do. You have many choices here, but the most popular seems to be: create a parser/vm for a scripting language, or make use of dll files. Each of these choices has a downside: the former will add several months to your development time, and the latter makes the modder use C (or any other system programming language) to make the DLL.

My recommendation would be to embed a pre-existing scripting language into your app because it will save you months of development time, and you can use the same language in future projects.
quote:Original post by Chman_a11w
i''ve alwais wanted to know how developpers do to make their game supporting mods... anyone can explains me in detail please ?

thx

Ch*man

Keep game engine separate from game logic. Game engine is the executable, and game logic can be compiled in a DLL file. This way you can release source to game logic without exposing the actual game engine technology.
thx for your replies !
++
Scripting was the way followed in Unreal but I believe Halflife/Quake use DLL''s. DLL''s are easier for the developer to implant but scripting can often be easier for the public to use.
Try:
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1599.asp

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement