• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crow-knee

VB and menus - yeh, for work...

This topic is 5804 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Evening all, I am having a problem trying to resize the menus in VB (6.0). It seems to me that there is no way to change the size of the menu or its buttons. I am trying to port an old system to be suitable for use with a touch screen in a factory, so I''d like to make the menus larger so they are easier to traverse. Can anyone offer any help on this? Thanks, Steele.

Advertisement
The easiest way might just be to write your own menus. Actually, since this is a touch screen application, it would probably be even better if you used lots of buttons and had them all visible at once, but I''m no designer, so here is how I would go about it:

1) Somehow find the hWnd of the menu. There is a function in the SDK whichi will return the hWnd of something given a coordinate on the screen. So if you pass it the coordinate of the mouse/finger, then it will hopefully give you a starting point.

2) Look around for an API call which resizes a window. Check www.vbapi.com - it will probably have one lying around. Otherwise just browse the API viewer and look for anything promising.

Also, have a look at websites like www.planet-source-code.com for their examples of menu manipulation. They are good for gimmicks and stuff, so you will probably be able to find stuff which will say add pictures to menu items. That should give you a pretty good lead on the types of API calls you will need.

Trying is the first step towards failure.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!