• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SweetToothTZ

What to buy...?

This topic is 5651 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i''m interested in programming, and i know a VERY LITTLE BIT, but i was thinking about buying Game Programming Starter Kit 6.0 for around $50. Is this a good buy, do you recommend something else, at this point i WILL NOT spend more than $100, but if there is something 10x better for more i''d like to know, but i''d like to keep the price to around $50. Thanks for whatever help you can give me!! My email is SToothTZ@yahoo.com Please email me as i do not always check this forum thank you

Advertisement
I suggest books. And for a good book, you may have to pay some good money, weither or not it being over $100.

- Rob Loach
OverTech Technologies
-----------
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don''t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it."
- Ferris Bueller

Doesn''t the Kit come with some sort of book/tutorial, like i said i knnow very little, i did a bit on TI-83+ but that''s it, i''ll get a book in a week or a month or when i get more into and understand the bare basics.
But dont i need a Programming Program first?

I would suggest deciding on a language. Then getting a book for that language. There are some free C++ compilers out there and a lot of people use it for games. If you do go with C++ I suggest C++ Primer(cost ~50) as an excellent book. Anyway start with that and go through the whole book, and make sure to learn it and not just do the excersises and forget it. After every excersise use what you learned in some game related way. Examples:
You just learned how to accept console input -> Make an app for creating charactures where you can input their attributes.
Anyway after that you could look at the gameprogramming starter kit, but you really need to learn a language first.
Good luck and keep at it.

------------------------------
p.s. excuse me english. im from L.A.

I will keep at it!! And thanks for the suggestion i''ll definately look into it. I did not know that the Starter Kit didnt teach the language (i know it does but i know what you mean) Thanks again

--your mom

1st Is albania a real place?
2nd is bloodshed on Download.com? it cant hurt to try
3rd i''ll still need a book...that is..unless you care to be my personol tutor, lol

It depends on where you want to go with game programming. VB is ok if you want to do this as a hobbie, and you can use what you learn in VB to be something like a database programmer. If you want to do this as a career though I would suggest C++ though because it is what most companies use, and realize you''ll never be programming the next Quake with VB. Also with VB you will probably get frustrated later because of it''s shortcomings pertaining to game programming.

------------------------------
p.s. excuse me english. im from L.A.

I have the Game Programming Starter Kit 6.0
Well I bought it about a year ago or so... I was a bit disappointed, because it barely teaches you about C++.
The book on game design is quite nice though. What else was with it? Oh yeah that Genesis 3d engine, but you can get that for free from the internet anyway.

So the two things that were good, was the book on game design and the MSVC++ compiler (author version).
Oh and that Tetris game with source code

But you definately need to buy a book on the language that you''ll program in, C++ most likely if it''s games you''re looking into.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!