• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Compiler Favorites, which one?!?

This topic is 5621 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Right now I''m looking for a compiler that can handle C and in the(hopefully)near future C++ also. What freeware/shareware/commerical brand would you guys recommend and why? Remember I''m on a budget so nothing to expensive. Or if you got a site link that rates them please give it!Thanks for your help guys! Sabin

Advertisement
If your on windows the only way to go is visual C++. It costs a bundle but believe me when I say IT IS WORTH IT. Visual C++ is the standard for programming under windows. If your under unix just bust out the old school g++.

Hi Visual C++ is not the only win32 solution,
i use DEV-C++ and it works pretty well over here.
DEV-C++ is the IDE in fact and uses MingW the gcc/g++ port
for win32.

take a look @ http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/

------

With kind regards,

Sander Aerts aka DrSnugels

Crap
---------------------------
mov ax, 013h; int 10h; mov ax, 0xa000h;
mov es, ax; mov di, 3360; mov al, 15;
stosb; mov ax, 0002h; int 21h;
mov ax, 03h; int 10h;

Yeah Dev-C++ is a great package for a beginner who doesnt want to spend alot of money...but id have to agree that VC++ is the BEST way to go. For one, its the most documented and most user friendly. Dev-Cpp is very close...but it doesnt have the documentation or same level of user friendliness. There are lots of things I like BETTER about Dev-C but VC++ is still my IDE of choice any day. You can get a trial version of VC++ and see how you like it if you want, thats what i did and after getting used to it (i switched from Metrowerks Codewarrior) I like it much better.

Brian

I have both VC++6 and DevC++ on my computer. I''m thinking about deleting DevC++, though, because Visual C++ just has so much more STUFF.

The feature that really does it for me though, is the Intellisense stuff. Being politely prompted for a function''s parameters is more helpful than I could have imagined.

jokemode
Real coders doesn't need that kind of functionality
/jokmode

but i never had such functionality, and things you have never
used, are things you don't know how it is without

o and my english sucks big time =)

------

With kind regards,

Sander Aerts aka DrSnugels

Crap
---------------------------
mov ax, 013h; int 10h; mov ax, 0xa000h;
mov es, ax; mov di, 3360; mov al, 15;
stosb; mov ax, 0002h; int 21h;
mov ax, 03h; int 10h;

[edited by - Sander Aerts on December 2, 2002 12:08:38 AM]

Visual C++, definitely. Not only is it an excellent IDE, but it''s also handy to have experience with if you''re planning on working in industry - quite possible you''ll end up having to use it at some point. If you''re a student/teacher/lecturer you can pick up an academic license fairly cheaply.

That said, Dev-C++ is a good free alternative. I haven''t used it in a long time, but even back then it was pretty impressive for FOSS.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by andromeda
I have both VC++6 and DevC++ on my computer. I''m thinking about deleting DevC++, though, because Visual C++ just has so much more STUFF.

The feature that really does it for me though, is the Intellisense stuff. Being politely prompted for a function''s parameters is more helpful than I could have imagined.

Why would you use a free compiler anyway if you paid the VC bucks?
Uhhh...

(no flame intended, just couldn''t resist )

• Advertisement