• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IFooBar

loading screen

This topic is 5852 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How would you go about making one of those load screens that increase as more of the game is loaded? Is there some way to track how much has loaded since the player pressed the start button? how? help! any guidance and/or direction would be great. thanks
:::Al:::
[Triple Buffer V2.0] - Resource leak imminent. Memory status: Fragile

Advertisement
Say your level has 200.000 triangles . Loading 20.000 of them would mean ur progress is at 10%.Say Your level has 200 textures. Loading 20 of them means your progress is 10% (as regards texture load). Now , this means that you have totally loaded 10% of both resources

ok thanks, so how bout if you want to take into account the size of the textures, and the size of the vertex buffer. cause I assume a vertex buffer of FVF_DIFFUSE|FVF_XYZ takes up much less space then a vertex buffer of FVF_DIFFUSE|FVF_XYZ|FVF_NORMAL|FVF_TEX1|FVF_TEX2 etc...

:::Al:::
[Triple Buffer V2.0] - Resource leak imminent. Memory status: Fragile

In reality, I think one would refer to the % loaded as a time indicator. The user doesn''t care how much data was done, but rather how much of what there is to do has been done (measured in time).

If you really want it to be accurate, run some tests with textures and some models and see what takes most of the loading time. Then have the texture loading be the first 30%, models the next 20%, and rest for sounds (or whatever).

This should give you a rather smooth percent increase while the game loads, which gives a good feeling of how much more loading is left.

Be sure to run accurate tests though (as close to what it will be like in the end).

P.S. I hate it when it takes twice as long to load the last 50% as it does the first.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!