• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Logical or and bitwise or

This topic is 5647 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Logical or treats each operand as a boolean value, either true or false, and returns a boolean value.

Bitwise or treats each bit as a separate logical operation from each operand, and returns the result of all bits.

23 = 00010111 binary
199 = 11000111 binary

23 || 199 = (some nonzero [true] value)
23 | 199 = 00000111 binary = 7

Don''t listen to me. I''ve had too much coffee.

A logical or produces a true or false value depending on the result of the operation. A bitwise or changes the bits of the result - basically merging the bits of the two operands into the result.

"Beautiful maiden," answered Candide, "when a man is in love, is jealous, and has been flogged by the Inquisition, he becomes lost to all reflection."

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Logical or treats each operand as a boolean value, either true or false, and returns a boolean value.

Bitwise or treats each bit as a separate logical operation from each operand, and returns the result of all bits.

23 = 00010111 binary
199 = 11000111 binary

23 || 199 = (some nonzero [true] value)
23 | 199 = 00000111 binary = 7

<hr>Don''t listen to me. I''ve had too much coffee.

Wouldn''t 23 | 199 =11010111 binary (no idea what that is)?

Or do I misunderstand bitwise operators?

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster (andromeda)
Wouldn''t 23 | 199 =11010111 binary (no idea what that is)?
Yes, Sneftel obviously did an bitwise AND instead of OR.

quote:
Original post by LessBread
A bitwise or changes the bits of the result - basically merging the bits of the two operands into the result.

And that means?
Could someone please give some examples and compare them with a logical or so I can see the diffrence?

23 = 00010111 binary
199 = 11000111 binary

23 | 199 (bitwise OR - set a bit if it is set in the 1st num OR if it is set in the 2nd num [or if its set in both]) = 11010111 = 215

23 || 199 (logical OR - 23 is true OR 199 is true. Since 23 exists (is not 0) and 199 exists (is not 0), result: ) = true

I tend to think of logical ORs as "if a is not zero or b is not zero then...", because false is the same as zero, and true = not false, so true is any number except zero (including negatives).

Sorry if thats a little confusing.

quote:
Original post by Evil Bill
23 | 199 (bitwise OR - set a bit if it is set in the 1st num OR if it is set in the 2nd num [or if its set in both]) = 11010111 = 215

How can it be 215? Shouldn´t it be just true or false (1 or 0)? And for what purposes is bitwise or used?

quote:
Original post by peter86
And that means?

A logical operation implicitly converts both operands to bool, according to the conversion rules for doing that (e.g. non-zero int becomes true). The result is a bool. The Standard guarantees that a logical operator will have left-to-right evaluation order and that side effects of the first expression are executed before the second expression is evaluated.

A boolean operation does not perform any such conversions, and it does not provide any guarantees about evaluation order.

Example:

#include <assert.h>

int main()
{
int x = 0x10;
int y = 0x20;

int logical_result = 0x10 || 0x20;
int bitwise_result = 0x10 | 0x20;

assert(logical_result == true);
assert(bitwise_result == 0x30);
}

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!