Anti-Twinking in MMOGs...

Started by
59 comments, last by debaser 21 years, 4 months ago
A corelary to the griefer thread, anyone have any ideas about limiting twinking? I suggested to some friends a game that only allows one character per server, but everyone reacted negatively to that. I would like to limit wholesale twinking by some methode other than an arbitrary "level limit" on equipment and party experience...
Got me a movie I want you to know...
Advertisement
i''m sorry, but could you define "twinking"?
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
quote:Original post by krez
i''m sorry, but could you define "twinking"?

Sorry.

Twinking is the act of giving a new character lots of high level gear and/or useing a high level character to quickly level a new character.
Requiring good physical stats (built up by levelling) and actual level requirement to use the items might deter them pretty well.

EDIT: Whoops... you said you didn't want to hear level requirement... stand by...

The items could consume magical energy (requiring a good mana pool), but then they could just obtain items that increase your mana pool...

Hmm... what else...

The items could be heavy, requiring good stamina or strength, increased only by levelling up... a low stamina will make the character tire out quickly and make them harder to use.

The downside is having items that increase stamina, strength, mana pool, etc. Because using those items a low level character becomes twinkable. Re-equipping is a pain (they have to equip the power up items first), but that's not enough to deter the hard-core twinker.

[edited by - Waverider on December 3, 2002 4:42:13 PM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
What''s the primary reason for wanting to limit twinking?

You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.
Make it so that a player can only use an Item or something if they have earned it at least once.. IE. certian armor comes only from a certian type of monster.. well unless the play has looted that item before they can''t pick it up, or have it traded to them..

or

the player must visit an elder or wise man to teach them how to use certian items, put the wise man it a hard to get to area
"What's the primary reason for wanting to limit twinking?"

It can vary, I'm sure.

My guess is complaints from other players, since twinkers can run around stealing their kills and dominate the current playfield, ruining everyone else's fun.

Sure, everyone else could gang up on him and frustrate him, but dealing with those kinds of situations isn't really what the game is about for most people.

Not everyone would do that with a twinker, but as we all learn in MMORPG's, if a person CAN do a thing, SOMEONE will do it and be VERY annoying at it. So, take the capability away. That's one way to solve it.

[edited by - Waverider on December 3, 2002 4:51:53 PM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
Couple of suggestions:

1) Do allow players to give items to one another. All sales have to go to an NPC. Probably not the best suggestion but it''s an option.
2) Make trades between players roughly equal. If I want to trade with another player he has to give me somewhere between 75 and 100% of the value of the items I''m trading in other items or money.
2) Make it a trade only system through a 3rd party NPC. The trader gives the items to the NPC. The trader can tag the items for a specific player or to the first bidder that meets the requirements (see #2 above). The trades can be a group of items or single items.

Comments?

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

quote:Original post by Waverider
"What''s the primary reason for wanting to limit twinking?"

It can vary, I''m sure.

My guess is complaints from other players, since twinkers can run around stealing their kills and dominate the current playfield, ruining everyone else''s fun.

Only if the system lets them killsteal. This is easy to stop and probably not the main reason. Although I''m not sure what the big deal is. If I managed to obtain the items, why isn''t it my right to do with them what I want?

The question should be - "Should twinking be allowed?"

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

quote:Original post by Silvermyst
What''s the primary reason for wanting to limit twinking?

One of the things that encourages griefers, or game-crappers as I prfer to call them, is the ease of building a character. If there isn''t an investment in the character why should they feel they have anything to lose by ruining someone elses experience. By forcing a player to really work at advancing his character you will get rid of alot of the idiot behaviors.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement