• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snake2002

want to learn .NET

This topic is 5705 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello there everybody i need little help here.. i am trying to get in .net environment but the main question is with wat language vb.net or C#.net . Now i know a lot of (respected ) senior developers here at gamedev.net will have different views about each language please i need them all negative or positive cause it will help me to decide for my career . and pls if someboy know do tell me where is the industry going also to C# or to VB.NET .... sorry if any spelling mistakes english is not my first language. Thanks Agian .

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by snake2002
Now i know a lot of (respected ) senior developers here at gamedev.net will have different views about each language please i need them all negative or positive cause it will help me to decide for my career.

what is your career? Some languages are good for certain careers, some others good for other careers.

quote:

and pls if someboy know do tell me where is the industry going also to C# or to VB.NET ....

the (game) industry is now using C++. C# is the closest to C++, so if I were you, I chose C#.

My compiler generates one error message: "does not compile."

you asked for all opinions, and then mentioned "industry". if you''re looking for the former:

keep in mind that ".net" also refers to .net framework, which is mostly the same no matter what language you use it from.

considering that c# and vb.net are fully interoperable, it doesn''t really matter which you use. both compile to the same bytecode and are executed by the same runtime. with .net, it looks like you can pick the language you like more, as opposed to the language someone else likes more.

ms seems to like c# more ("power of c++ and ease of use of vb").

if you know some c or c++, c# will be easier to get into. same for basic/vb and vb.net, respectively.

quote:
Original post by niyaw

keep in mind that ".net" also refers to .net framework, which is mostly the same no matter what language you use it from.

thanks but what about the jobs i am strictly talking about WEb and Data Base applications what do you think companies are looking for vb.net developer or c# .

Forget VB - 2nd class citizen. Not now (well, just a little), but with .NET 2.0 - well, you definitly dont want VB there.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

quote:
Original post by thona
Forget VB - 2nd class citizen. Not now (well, just a little), but with .NET 2.0 - well, you definitly dont want VB there.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

So Mr thona you''re telling me that i should just concentrate on C# for .net platform right?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!