Isometric...new home on PDA/telephones?

Started by
3 comments, last by GalaxyQuest 21 years, 4 months ago
With all these PDA''s & color cellphones with games comming out, I bet that Isometric games will make a nice come back/resurrgence in these markets, mainly because of 2d. You think its gonna get big? John
Advertisement
Personally, I''ve been thinking of writing an iso engine for either GBA or mobile phones, but I haven''t actually been able to think of any iso games that would really be any fun on those platforms, so that idea never went anywhere. (although technically very possible)

- JQ
Full Speed Games. Are back.
~phil
Well, any game that has been done in the fashion of isometric could be considered here. You just have to reduce the game to its core essentials. Im sorry to hear you cant think of an idea, but I would say any baulders gate type clone, diablo clone, strategy war game, jeez basically any game you want converted to 2d...

By the way, I read at GAMESPY a small review/news blip about Everyquest for the PDA. Its basically a single player simplified Isometric form of Everquest. (When I saw that I was very mad at myself that I didnt fully develope my senior project 2d demo into a full game, which used 2D sprites of the barbarian warrior and ogre characters in Everquest. Oh well.)

John
Apart from the fact that I don''t enjoy the standard RPG, I''m not quite sure as to why exactly you''d want to play such games on that kind of platform? I don''t know too much about Diablo or Baldur''s Gate, but strategy games generally are all about keeping on top of the situation, and usually involve some serious user interfacing. I just can''t possibly see myself playing C&C on the GBA, I''m sorry. I don''t own a PDA, but I would suppose there''s a similar input problem there, if not quite as bad (you have some kind of pointing device usually)
Then, take into account the usual use for a PDA or portable console, or even mobile phone. Well, it''s obviously for on the go, where you don''t have hours of time on your hands. If I want to play for hours on end, I definitely won''t ruin my eyes by staring at a tiny screen and ruin my back by sitting in a weird position.
The point I''m trying to make is: just because it''s possible doesn''t mean it''s a good idea. I do suppose there''s a good reason as to why I haven''t heard of any RTS (or TBS) games released for GBA.
Also take into consideration the amount of time and money it''s going to cost to develop such a game. Is your userbase that big that you can actually make money? How many people have PDAs? How many of those are serious, hardcore gamers that are willing to dedicate hours of their time playing games? And how many of them actually prefer to play them on their PDA?
Don''t get me wrong. I''m not saying it''s a dead market, or, it''s not possible or a bad idea in general. I just think it''s not quite as easy as it appears.

- JQ
Full Speed Games. Are back.
~phil
Personally, I would really enjoy playing Diablo on my GBA. Of course the interface would be slightly different, since there is no mouse. It''d still be fun though, and the random dungeons would bring something new to the portable market. I wonder if Blizzard would ever go for it?
----------------------- I am 0x539. Are you?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement