Loading data.

Started by
4 comments, last by Manuverse 21 years, 4 months ago
Im currently developing an RPG developement kit that is powered by Direct X. My goal is to make it so the user doesnt need to use a compiler or programming language at all (Im developing a map editor, Scripter, Hero/enemy wizard etc.) and my engine loads the resources and runs the scripts etc. My question is can i load files from a folder at runtime or do they need to be compiled with the program?
Graphics and 3D mean nothing to a real game designer. Its how the game plays that matters and nothing else!
Advertisement
If you are refering to resources like textures,sounds etc . It would be better to make a special file format and then load the files from the folder
-Da Mr.RaSt3RiZah-
Files are normally loaded during runtime.
APE
Impossible. What you WANT to achieve, manuverse, can not be done.

quote:or programming language at all (Im developing a map editor, Scripter,

Now, unless your script system usys funny graphics etc., the script will be written in a programming language, or?

Maybe "high level", but thats not part of the definition of a programming language.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
RegardsThomas TomiczekTHONA Consulting Ltd.(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
Okay, I think i phrased what i meant wrong. The Program i am developing Will be sort of like on of those point and click game makers. It will have a script engine, a game engine, a map editor and all the other utilities. All that will be pre compiled by me but what im asking is can i load a file from a subfolder within the folder that the Engine EXE is in and not from the resource script.
Graphics and 3D mean nothing to a real game designer. Its how the game plays that matters and nothing else!
Of course. You'll have to write loading routines in all of the relevent classes. You can use fstream.h. Search for file i/o tuts I'm sure there are plenty. The first file you load can be an ini file which contains the paths to all the other files. Then you can put them anywhere you want.

[edited by - Hollower on December 4, 2002 9:28:35 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement