PS2 linux kit

Started by
4 comments, last by Liquidus4 21 years, 4 months ago
I just got my PS2 Linux kit and it is freakin sweet. seriously though, this thing is awesome. Highly recomended and well worth the money [edited by - Liquidus4 on December 7, 2002 12:17:19 AM] [edited by - Liquidus4 on December 7, 2002 12:21:57 AM]
The funny thing about driving a car over a cliff is, you still hit those breaks. Hey! Better try the emergency break!
Advertisement
Do uou need to know linux well 2 use it?

My head speaks a language i dont understand.
You should listen to me, im 'Special'.Or so my physiatrist said.
Mainly i guess it depends on what you want to use it for, if you will mainly be programming games, you will need to know basic linux commands. But, you will need to know some about linux to do some of the programming. I am no linux expert, but i know enough to get around in the file system, compile programs, run programs, etc.
The funny thing about driving a car over a cliff is, you still hit those breaks. Hey! Better try the emergency break!
well, after getting things set up, i wrote and compiled an OpenGL program. I have written a whole bunch of demos and one pretty good game on my PC with OGL, but i wanted to start simple to get used the the linux/ps2 environment. I plan on using this program as a base and slowly start incorportaing ps2 ascpects into it. First i plan on using the ps2 controler instead of the keyboard. Form there move on to graphics. But, wow, this thing is pretty hard to code for. Kinda reminds me of a cryptic version of DirectX which has to be programed for using winsock controls. Ha ha, maybe not quite that bad. Anyone with more experience want to write some tutorials...There is a console section in the articles and resource center that gets almost no attention...

[edited by - Liquidus4 on December 7, 2002 12:23:01 AM]
Do they provide you with all the required libs and documentation to code the hardware or are you on your own? Do you get compilers for the VU processors, IOP and SPU co-processors?
Oh yeah, you get all the libs and the header files. There are small documentations on the various parts of the ps2 in the usr/doc folder, but the actual development manuals the pro game developers got(minus the one on how to make bootable cd''s) are on the first dvd. They are pdf format and together are probably over 1,000 pages long(The emotion engine pdf alone is around 450).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement