• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Plenty of bodies no problem...

This topic is 5615 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I once asked a similar question ages ago, but I didn''t really get the answer I was looking for, I''m gonna try explain it better: Imagine playing Counter Strike. It''s a full 3D world with sky box, floors and massive buildings which you can run around/in/on/under whatever. You can get upto 32 players fighting it out, each player model with thier own weapon and body movement animations. Now, I must have had (on many occasions) more than 20 players all on my screen at the same time. Now Im not just talking about a plain 3D model, Im talking them all having facial features, elbows and knees, weapon holsters and helmets, shadows and lighting, running jumping shooting dying you name it, but all on my screen at the same time. Now my question is...How the hell do they do that???? Since all this is happening on my screen, forget about frustrum culling and Octree''s etc. cos all the models and parts of the game world are in my frustrum, yet the performance of my game does not take any hit whatsoever! I have made a model in 3D Studio Max, imported it into my game, stuck it on some terrain and had a look at it. If theres only a few of them...fine. But If I am viewing more than five of them (i.e. theres 5 or more models in my frustrum) my performance goes jerky - I get about half the frame rate. What''s really annoying about this is that these models are no way near as detailed as the ones in Counter Strike. They have way less detail, and only 3 textures. Check out my web link at the bottom to see them if you like. Ive tried everything I can thing of so far. It''s not V-Sync. It''s not my textures (there 128*128). Im drawing my models in display lists (so there nicely pre-compiled). I have based the majority of my code on NeHe''s and GameTutorials OpenGL tutorials. Id like to add that this IS my first game I have attempted with OpenGL, so I am obviously missing something. But what? Any clues? WWW.SPANNERWORX.CO.UK

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Sounds like you are fill limited. It''s easy to check--just reduce the window size (or video resolution) and see if your framerate increases.

If so, look for ways to reduce overdrawing.

I think your missing his point, except eldee, who was close I believe.

Hes not asking how he can make his faster, necessary, but more so how CS got theirs so fast.

Well, I''ll tell you this much. While ago I was at my friends house on his computer, which was not very powerful. I downloaded a simple openGL particle demo and it ran like crap, it was very slow, with only about 300 - 600 polys on screen all together. Then, I exit that and start up quake 3. Of course, you get into a nice death match and theres about 4 -5 models on screen, lighting, the world, particles. You name it. Not even a little bit jerky.

How you ask?? Well, i was reading an article by micheal abrash when he worked for id, and the point is, the pros take a LONG TIME doing nothing but speeding things up. Getting every little ounce and drop of performance they can, trying every method, every algortithm, until they find what they believe to be the best solution.

That being said, the real reason counter-strike is fast is because it uses the quakeII engine, written by god

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I''m reaching up and reaching out. I''m reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one''s been. We''ll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one''s been." - Maynard James Keenan
Name: TheBlackJester
Team: Wildfire Studios

Projects
O A.D.
The Last Alliance

Hmmm, yeah I realise that professional game developers spend ages improving their code to speed up there games...but there is still a massive difference between my games performance and proffesionally developed games, so much so that I believe I am doing something not quite right.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Sounds like you are fill limited. It''s easy to check--just reduce the window size (or video resolution) and see if your framerate increases. If so, look for ways to reduce overdrawing.

Please could you elaborate on this. When I run my game in a smaller window size, the game actually stutters more than it does when in fullscreen mode. So I guess that means Im not ''fill limited''. But what does that mean exactly? When you say ''reduce overdrawing'', do you mean I need better Octree algorithms and the like?

Hi Mr. Dark_Streak !
I''m also interested in solution to this problem, because I have EXACTLY the same problem!!!

I''ve put together a lil terrain engine with the possibility to display md3-quake models. Well, if I draw 1, 2 or 3 models the FPS don''t change, BUT
if I draw more then 3, with every new model the framerate drops about 50%......

This is driving me nutz, so people PLEASE ANSWER :-((

Guest Anonymous Poster
Well if I guess correctly, it is likely that the skins for the models are a single texture. Also you haven''t specified what sort of terrain you are rendering. The maps in CS do not appear to me to be very polygon-intensive (lots of large flat surfaces mainly). Information like this could help us answering you, and also if you included your systems specs, particularly gcard and cpu speed.

You could also try counting the number of polys you are trying to render per frame, and get a poly-per-second value to compare

It could be fill rate, try scaling everything to a very small screen size (taking care not to include more polygons that would other-wise be culled) to reduce the amount of space needed to be filled (You could also simply reduce the res as the other AP stated)

• Advertisement