• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SimDemon

OpenGL OpenGL only works on Win95/98?

This topic is 5824 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am using Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0, and I cannot get my OpenGL program to work on WindowsXP or ME. It works fine on Win95/98. Can anyone tell me why this might be. It just draws a simple colored triangle on the screen. It''s my 3D OpenGL engine that is in progress. I am testing my polygon class right now, and it works, but not on WinXP/ME. Can someone tell me why? Any help is appreciated! =) Thanks, Matt Utley If thispost = 0 Then GoBack() Else Read() End If

Advertisement
Whats the error (if any?)
Does the computer running XP or ME have a openGL capable card?
Do they have updated drivers specifically for there cards?
Standard drivers that come with XP are not openGL friendly.

if it fails to run full stop then fark knows (sorry)

A way to fully test it is to run XP on your machine,thus with your card.

I''ve never heard of that happening before !
I''m also working with opengl but with delphi and my application works in any Windows you want (except 3.1 ) !
What exactly does happen. It doesn''t start, it gives you an error message or what. Maybe I could help you better if I knew !

Maybe you need to download and run glSetup. I remember my noob days of q3 not working because I didn''t know you had to run this program. (not saying you''re a noob!)

Proceeding on a brutal rampage is the obvious choice.

AFAIK, glsetup hasn''t been updated in ages.
Get the latest drivers from your video card manufacturer.

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~univ1234

I had this problem about a year ago. And the solution is stupid. I don''t know exactly why it happens but try to fill PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR another way. I''m sure, that now you fill every member of PFD, try to fill only neccessary:

PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR pfd = {0};

pfd.nSize = sizeof(PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR);
pfd.nVersion = 1;
pfd.dwFlags = PFD_SUPPORT_OPENGL | PFD_DOUBLEBUFFER | PFD_DRAW_TO_WINDOW;
pfd.iPixelType = PFD_TYPE_RGBA;
pfd.cColorBits = nDepth;
pfd.cDepthBits = 16;
pfd.iLayerType = PFD_MAIN_PLANE;

well the OpenGL program I complied using MS Visual C++ 6.0 worked on a Celeron 1.1GHz with 128MB RAM running WinXP. It has to be cos of ur video card. the system i used has onboard video card with 4mb ram.

Try another system running WinXP or 2000!

Depending on what your trying to do, XP requires 128megs itself. I don't know how much RAM your requiring for your program but you might be out of RAM? Plus your VC is using system RAM since its intergrated. Also(Get an Athlon) just joking, I like AMD!! & dislike Intel =) Also if your using an onboard GPU and you installed WinXP or it came someone like Gateway you probably don't have OpenGL drivers installed for that GPU. You will have to find out which GPU you have and get some drivers for it.

Signatures are lame!! =)

[edited by - Mars_999 on December 5, 2002 2:50:10 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!