What is the average units sold for a independant game designer?

Started by
13 comments, last by rsnail 23 years, 11 months ago
One word - Postal.
Advertisement
Umm........All of my ideas and ways of advertising were free as far as I can remember...
While my experience in the game biz is very limited, I have been makeing commercial software for quite some time now, so here is my advice.

1.) The first thing you make will NOT sell a lot, if at all. Its the way theses things work, if your lucky though, you may get noticed by some people.

2.) If you have a TRULY good product, just get the word out! If you can build enough hype, you may be able to swing some support from a few investors. If you can survive long enough to bring the product to market, you may or may not get your wishes, but in my personal opinion, getting to market and not dieing in the process is the hardest part of the development cycle.

3.) If you can, and its good enough, you may be able to get published by a big name. Companies such as Epic, Verant, Psygnosis, etc. dint just "spring up" they worked themselves into the minds of their publishers, and eventually someone noticed that they had something that just might snaggle a pretty penny for their company.

4.) Don''t try to stay completely independent of publishers. If you want to be a 100% independent company, and you don''t already have a large amount of experience, you will probably not have success. Even with experience, you may still not succede due to lack of resources (See G.O.D.) so the publisher route is still your best chance of making it in the industry.

Hope you do well, maybe one day Ill see your products on the shelves with Quake5 or whatever.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

DavidRM .. i was just wondering, how are your games distibuted?
_______________________________________________i hurt myself today, to see if i still feel..
vin: Internet only. Sometimes we get bundled on different shareware/game CDs that go out with magazines, but we don''t seek those deals out. The publishers just email us and ask permission.

Most of our new players come to us from:
1. Big shareware sites like download.com and zdnet.com
2. Big game sites like happypuppy.com and mpog.com
3. Word of mouth

DavidRM
Samu Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement