Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THIS is retarded... or i am

This topic is 5520 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I can''t get the window to redraw itself... I JUST CAN"T!!! i''ve been trying for a month... and its not working!

well, just call invalidaterect or Send/Postmessage (don''t sure the last thing''ll work though) and make sure you capture the WM_PAINT message in the message proc

i''ve been trying, updatewindow() redrawwindow() and InvalidateRect()... where exactly should i place it, and if i''m doing it in the right place i''m probably using the wrong parameters... anyone got a tutorial or something?

Are you also capturing the WM_PAINT commands in your windows procedure?

If you are, then you can put a MessageBox() call in your WM_PAINT to see if it is being called when you expect it to. Or you can set up a log file and log WM_PAINT calls. If that doesn''t help you will have to post some code.

Make it work, then
make it fast.

"I’m happy to share what I can, because I’m in it for the love of programming. The Ferraris are just gravy, honest!" --John Carmack: Forward to Graphics Programming Black Book

assumes wndHandle is a valid HWND for your window

In the message handler:
HDC dc;
case WM_PAINT:
PAINTSTRUCT paintInfo;
dc = BeginPaint(wndHandle, &paintInfo);
// paint the window

EndPaint(wndHandle, &paintInfo);
return 0;
case WM_ERASEBKGND:
return 1; // only needed if you don't want windows to erase the window for you - it can cause flickering if you let windows erase the window and you have an interactive frame-rate

In WinMain (or wherever your main loop is):
MSG msg;
while (running)
{
PeekMessage(&msg, NULL, 0, 0, PM_REMOVE);
TranslateMessage(&msg); // only needed if you want text input through WM_CHAR

DispatchMessage(&msg);
InvalidateRect(wndHandle, 0, NULL);
// or possibly (wndHandle, NULL, 0)

// means the same thing though, since NULL is basically 0

}

Works for me...

Hope that helps,

John B

[edited by - JohnBSmall on December 5, 2002 3:10:09 PM]

oh man, that was a perfect term, FRAMERATE! i want instead of having a MessageBeep(); i want the background color to just randomly turn black. and i want to know if that would work as a frame rate?