Theoretical CompSci vs. Applied

Started by
2 comments, last by mjmurray 21 years, 4 months ago
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. Been lurking for about a week now and I figured I'd ask this here... I'm currently a sophomore in college, and I'm going to be taking an upper division course next semester (advanced encryption algorithms), and in order to have this course counted toward my major, I need to get my major completed and approved before the course begins. Anyway, the university I'm attending offers two degrees in CompSci, one in Theoretical Computer Science, and one in Applied Computer Science. Aside from the class differences, which are pretty subtle, it doesn't explicitly say what the differences in the degree are. So, my question is what, if any, are the differences in those degrees, especially pertaining to the real world? Would I be better off taking one over the other, assuming I want to get into the game development industry? (which I do) If it matters, I'm also minoring in math. Thanks in advance! [edited by - mjmurray on December 4, 2002 4:16:42 AM]
Advertisement
My University dosn''t have CS split up like that. You say the differences in classes are sublte, can you give some examples of what you have to take in the Applied program?
I really have no idea so don''t quote me on this, but my guess would be that applied CS is more umm, applicable. Probably more real-world type stuff rather than theory. Is it possible that the theory one is maybe intended for people to use as a basis for something else? Like is it more of a foundation type course of study rather than something that''s designed to get you into the world right away?
Here''s a random idea. But I''d imagine that a degree in applied comp sci would be similar to a degree in computer engineering. It would be more focussed on creating robust/correct software for the commercial world. Theoretical comp sci is probably more focussed on things such as proof of correctness, analysis of algorithms and the like. Of course I''m just guessing, so your best off asking the registrar or the head of your comp sci department.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement