Script Writing in Video Games

Started by
10 comments, last by WagTheJake 21 years, 4 months ago
timeline was the book.

lucas art''s Day of the Tentacle was a dos game with an interesting and good plot that was interesting.

later, they came out with ''The Dig.'' It was based on an already written book by Alan Dean Foster, probably my favorite sci-fi writer. he wrote a number of books that became movies (and many novelizations that were many times BETTER than the movies) but this was the only game. needless to say, the game rocked. i loved it. now if someone would just modernize it with graphics.

-geo
r e d e y e g a m e s
-geoYou have achieved victory by DOMINATING THE WORLD.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by BB-Pest
games != ego-shooters ... MANY games before half life actually had a story. Your ingorant statement is an insultation to all the gamedesigners allready thinking about story before this so called ''revolotionary'' game came out... it actually only was an revolutionary shooter . (back to the old dos-times... thinking about most of the rpgs there... even might and magic beats half-life in story dephts (not in bringing it onto screen though ))

The thing that was so revolutionary about HL''s storyline wasn''t the story itself - ''have to fight through hordes of aliens and cold-blooded government grunts to escape a deathtrap'' has been done before - but it was the way it told it. No FMV, no narrator - none of the traditional ''story'' devices used. The closest it comes to that was the use of ''scripted sequences'' - but, intro sequence aside, none of them last for longer than about 7 seconds, and the majority of them were atmospheric (for example, the scientist who gets eaten by the tentacle monster in "Blast Pit").

I seem to remember Commander Keen''s storyline as being told through pop-up text boxes - just like most of the games I have from that period of time.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement