• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Multiplayer Gaming

This topic is 5621 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone have any tips on creating a multiplayer game? Is it easier to fully create the game, and then implement multiplayer? Or is it easier to create the multiplayer aspects/connections and then implement the game? I thought that encorporating multiplayer into this game would be a bit of a jump, so I think I'll implement multiplayer into my old pong clone. Any tips before I proceed? I'm planning on using Winsock/Winsock 2. Is Winsock the way to go? Thanks before hand, - Rob Loach OverTech Technologies ----------- "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller [edited by - Rob Loach on December 4, 2002 10:37:59 AM]

Advertisement
LOL! oops, I put my name as the subject.

You know you stayed up all night when....

[edit]
It's fixed now.
Well? Anybody?
[/edit]

- Rob Loach
OverTech Technologies
-----------
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it."
- Ferris Bueller

[edited by - Rob Loach on December 4, 2002 10:39:52 AM]

you surely will find it hard to add a multiplayer thing for a game that was planed to be singleplayer.

If you design your game with multiplayer in mind and do not use some quick ways to get around some overhead that perhaps isn''t needed in singleplayer, it should work.

Just do not spread something like your player position all over your code.

Best probably would be to implement a message handling and distribute all modifications over that message bus.

Say with your pong-game player lifts paddle. Do not send it direct to your visualisation class, but instead send it to a message bus. The bus can then distribute the message to the visualisation, and later, if needed, it also can deliver the movement of the paddle over network to other players.

just 2 cents.

• Advertisement