• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coder42

Peter Walsh Incompetent?! (Advanced 3-D Game Prog...)

This topic is 5825 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

It has been a long time since i finished the book, and i actually liked it alot. I also read the first of his books (Zen of 3D ...). However im pretty upset by his so called "GAME" that you can build upon. It is pretty much a useless piece off XXXX to put it nicely Not just because the game is poorly written, but also because you just cant compile it. I''ve been able to correct many of his mistakes, but at some point (when you''re done with the first 500) you kinda puts it away.. I mean what is this?? I have tried writting to him - NO RESPONSE -... I''ve tried looking at the publishers website, but there is no errata/update site... So where does this leave me?... With alot of useless code... Anyone know a solution to this? Corrected all the code? Got in touch with Mrs. Walsh and told her.. i mean him to release some updated code ? :D There you go, im all done now...

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Hmm ... I wonder why you didn''t get a reply :-)

I''ve just finished Zen Of D3D and thought it was excellent (this was my first introduction). Many people have said "except for the poorly written code". What exactly is wrong with it? Do you have any examples.

You''re right about mistakes though. I had a hard time on some of the later chapters and sorted them out by looking at other peoples code and the completed "Engine.h" file supplied on the CD (which I had to download from the errata section because my CD was cracked). And the 3d camera is kinda crap too! It would have been better to see how one was implemented in a proper first person view so that you don''t have to move around with the mouse ...

Oh no, i didn''t mean Zen of 3D, but "Advanced 3-D Game Programming Using DirectX 8.0"...

The example is the included game on the CD...

And i did actually write a nice letter to him, but when you get no response then i you have to go somewhere else...

I have the same book and yes, I agree, he could''ve concentrated on making some of the examples more interesting as far as game programming goes. Now to your problem...
I''ve had some errors the first time I tried compiling it but was able to fix it in a couple of minutes. Can you copy and paste the error messages you''re getting? Not all of them but just the first couple and then we''ll take it on from there.

Yes well another thing is it will not accept the "interface" infront of the iGameObj...

f:\development\books\advanced 3d programming\game\gamecommon\msgdaemon.h(402) : error C2065: ''cNetMessage'' : undeclared identifier
f:\development\books\advanced 3d programming\game\gamecommon\msgdaemon.h(402) : error C2065: ''nMsg'' : undeclared identifier
f:\development\books\advanced 3d programming\game\gamecommon\msgdaemon.h(402) : error C2275: ''objID'' : illegal use of this type as an expression
f:\development\books\advanced 3d programming\game\gamecommon\msgdaemon.h(55) : see declaration of ''objID''

It''s really strange, all the files should proberly include, but they dont...

Just to clarify in the top there is this:

#include "netmsgs\NetMessages.h"

#include "..\math3d\point3.h"
#include "..\math3d\color3.h"
#include "..\math3d\plane3.h"
#include "..\math3d\matrix4.h"

#include "..\gamelib\GameTypes.h"

i also had to redefine :

uint objID;
to
typedef unsigned int objID;

strange..

Are you getting errors compiling every lib or just GameCommon?
I don''t remember what changes I''ve made to which files, but sure, I can send you whichever file(s) you want.
Hope that''ll help.

No actually i can compile GameCommon without errors alone, i think it is the game project itself.. the Game Server and Game Client projects wont compile...

--------------------Configuration: GameClient - Win32 Debug--------------------
Compiling...
EntNM.cpp
f:\development\books\advanced 3d programming\game\gamecommon\netmsgs\entnm.cpp(462) : fatal error C1010: unexpected end of file while looking for precompiled header directive
Error executing cl.exe.
Creating browse info file...
BSCMAKE: error BK1506 : cannot open file ''.\Debug\EntNM.sbr'': No such file or directory
Error executing bscmake.exe.

GameClient.exe - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

for the client and it is also EntNM.cpp which pops alot of errors in the GameServer, but i think it must be because something is messed... It also bothers me that the IGameObject cant be declared with "interface", or rather, it wont recognize interface - so i''ve used class so far...

if you could send gameclient/server to coder42@yahoo.dk - i would be happy :o)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!