• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

karbjork

Would this be spyware?

This topic is 5829 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I would like to track my software users. The sofware would send the user''s ip adress once per week to my server. I could then track the users, who have bought only one license but use the software on more than one computer. Is this spyware? I think this could minimize the piracy.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
What about people who do not have static IPs, your scheme would report one user as many.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Um, what about dynamic ip addresses?

Dynamic IP''s (as was mentioned). Offline users (if applicable). People who legally move their software from one computer to another ...

quote:
Original post by Fragmo
i think that would minimize customers as well

Not to mention, what exactly would you do when you caught more than one person using it? DO you have a legal team to go after them?

Guest Anonymous Poster
I have a firewall, if a program attempts to go out to the network and I don''t know what it is doing, I block it. I think many people do this. Just another flaw in the scheme.

If it''s not dynamic, I would send them an e-mail if they were caught.

I don''t think I would loose customers. BTW the software''s url is: http://www.frontbase.fi/products/fbsql

quote:
Original post by karbjork
If it''s not dynamic, I would send them an e-mail if they were caught.
How do you know if it''s dynamic or not?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!