Would this be spyware?

Started by
30 comments, last by karbjork 21 years, 4 months ago
If there is a valid reason for the software to require an internet connection, there is no reason this shouldn''t be acceptable. I don''t think that the IP address is necessarily the way to go. I would think a log in/log out system would work better. In this way, you could monitor for multiple users of one license simulatenously. This would allow fair use while at the same time limit piracy.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by EEROOKIE
If there is a valid reason for the software to require an internet connection, there is no reason this shouldn''t be acceptable. I don''t think that the IP address is necessarily the way to go. I would think a log in/log out system would work better. In this way, you could monitor for multiple users of one license simulatenously. This would allow fair use while at the same time limit piracy.

Yeah, and make customers happy when the login server is down.

quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Yeah, and make customers happy when the login server is down.

not if they use l00nix.

haha screw micro$haft! lol Bill Gates, got ROOT?

Good comedians are hard to find.
If you''re selling to companies, then you realise that most of them will be using the same internet connection through multiple computers.

99% of lisence violations happen because a company has too many people using the software, and your scheme won''t detect that at all, if they''re all sharing the one internet connection.

If I had my way, I''d have all of you shot!

codeka.com - Just click it.
Hmmm, tracking IP''s. It''s interesting to how many ppl have actually thought about / done or are doing this type of thing. If you application is normally executed offline, IE, doesnt *need* to run in an online mode, (unlike a multiplayer game), then even if you implement it perfectly, maintaining & analysing the results could become a real pain & for the many reasons the ppl have posted above, be wildy inaccurate too.

However having said that tho I''d like to make a suggestion. MAC numbers! I think the MAC address of the NIC located where the software is run from should be your first target >=). Sure there will be many users who may not have a NIC installed, but then you could just fall back to to IP''s or some other method.

Remember, MAC address'' are ''supposed'' to be unique(ish), so if you can get it, it far more reliable than an IP.

Whatever you decide to do, Good luck! =)

PS. If you do implement something like this, i really think that you should ensure ALL your users are aware that your software does this. A PC is a ''Personal'' computer, and these days ppl can get real angry if they ''think'' their privacy has been invaded, even if it hasn''t.
quote:Original post by karbjork
I would like to track my software users.
The sofware would send the user''s ip adress once per week to my server. I could then track the users, who have bought only one license but use the software on more than one computer.

Is this spyware?

I think this could minimize the piracy.

I considered writing a virus to do this, but send a packet to someone you don''t like. Just imagine if your software was popular! e.g. Every time someone opens Internet Explorer it sends a packet to you. Haha your connection would not be very responsive!
quote:Original post by Ratman
not if they use l00nix.

haha screw micro$haft! lol Bill Gates, got ROOT?

This site was created because of people like you.

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

Do NOT let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor!

[edited by - eldee on December 5, 2002 8:42:10 AM]

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
quote:Original post by eldee

LOL, nice

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

quote:Original post by eldee

check your sarcasm detector, it might be broken! rim-shot!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement