Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many polys?

This topic is 5518 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know, this sounds like it is going to be the standard question of "How many polys should my characters be?" And to some degree it is, just a little more technical... Ok, I''m basing my calculations on the number of polys/sec that a GeForce4 MX 420 can do. Thinking that it would be a good low end card for when I would possibly be able to complete this idea (read: several months to years) On nVidia''s site it says that the card can handle 31,000,000 polys per sec. Now since this is flat polys usually with no real effects or anything else to it I cut this number down to 15,000,000. Now I want to have a minimum frame rate of 60 fps so that takes it down to 250,000 polys that can be drawn per frame. Somehow this just doesn''t seem right... With the number of objects that I have to draw (that I can think of), my primary objects should be able to be 10,000 polys. Is this accurate? Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.

Guest Anonymous Poster
That benchmark number is very far removed from real-world performance. Look for independent benchmarks based on actual applications rather than the manufacturers numbers for a better estimate of your max triangles/second.

And don''t forget you''re not just pumping triangles to the graphics hardware: you have AI, physics, etc.

Well, that''s why I cut the number in half. Thinking that would be a start to more realistic...

After a bit of searching (google) all I can find for statistics is the standard nVidia media-hype-bull numbers. I realize it can''t actually do that in a real game and that I have to account for other things happening... Does anyone have any real statistics?

Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.

On my current rig my geforce2mx can pull somewhere in the area of 1 to 1.5 million polys per second. This is a duron 750 with 256MB of PC133 RAM so while not exactly top of the line it ain''t an old clunker.

But is that in a game/app or is that the stats from nVidia?

Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.

That was from an app nVidia put on their site a while back that would test a graphics card to its limits. I get about 2 million textured polys a second without lighting.

Not sure if this''ll help or not but, the team making to new Tomb Raider game has Lara at 5k polys. So I''d think it would be safe to assume that by the time you finish your game a 10k poly object shouldn''t be a problem at all.

Always treat the figures you read with a little scepticism (where graphics cards hardware manufacturers are concerned)...

Like many questions asked before there is no definitive answer - it "just depends" on your particular game / application. How many characters are on screen typically at any given time? Do you use an efficient LOD system? How complex and processor intensive are non-graphics related processes in your game? How streamlined is your rendering pipe? And so on and so forth.

To give you some idea of numbers involved I recently worked on a little concept demo for an upcoming game that had (typically) 15-25 characters on screen at once - the majority of these resembled humanoid creatures. These were modelled in approximately 1200-2200 polygons each. And even those were perhaps a little too high polygon-wise when the action became intense... This is using LOD, etc. and a whole bunch of other culling / optimisation techniques, too.

Regards,
Sharky

Guest Anonymous Poster
Crazy_Vasey, if you get 1 to 1.5 million polygons per sec, then there''s something wrong... I get over 18million polygons per sec, with texture on a Duron 900 with geforce 2 mc

Guest Anonymous Poster
mc = mx

it depends on the cpu quite a bit you will find... surprisingly. unelss you go the route of using the like vertex-array-range (OpenGL), which I''ve found, if the cpu is good, has little effect on overall tris/sec rates.

as for numbers, a friend of mine had a geforce 2 mx 400 (absolute peice of rubbish in other words - about the same as my old geforce 1) on this, I was managing around the 9 million tris/sec mark with VAR using triangle strips that were optimized for vertex caching, etc (on both the mx and my gf1 - slightly less for the mx) - (about 6-7 without VAR for him, ~3 for me)

He had an athlon 1700. I have a 533 P3.

Now. today, on my same P3 + radeon 9000. With standard mixied triangles, no strips, no vertex cache optimizations (don''t underestimate these) I''ve managed to get it to pull up to 10 million tris/sec (D3D)
(this wasn''t an simple scene either, it was me rendering the nv15 quake3 map)
You should probably be able to get the same rates on a 4mx..
OpenGL, on the other hand, I havn''t written to take advantage of VAR/VAO, so it''s throughput on my system is roughly half that, but, on the gf mx, the performance of both GL/D3D is pretty much equal.
(the cpu usage is higher in GL, so things bog down quicker when lots of things start happening than in D3D.. this should change when I finally get round to VAR/VAO)