• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MindCode

Quaternion transformation

This topic is 5649 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there a way to transform a vertex directly from a quaternion. I know I can convert the quat to a matrix and then transform the point, but that does seem redundant.

Advertisement
Create a quaternion where you set the imaginary part equal to the vector and the real part to 0.
If q is the transformation quaterntion and v is the expanded vector, then the transformation is:
q v q*,
where q* is the conjugated quaternion.
Then take the imaginary part and you have your transformed 3D vector.

[edited by - VolkerG on December 4, 2002 5:01:59 PM]

I''m sorry but I can''t understand a word of that. I''m fairly new to quaternion''s and not a big math wiz either.

Is there a specific reason why you don''t want to use matrix transformation? If there is, then you can get your rotated/transformed vector v by:
p=(0,v)
q=(cos(a/2),u*sin(a/2))
p_rotated=q*p*q^(-1)

where a is the angle of rotation and u is the unit vector for the axis of rotation. This can be easily proven through straightforward algebra.

This method is sufficient, however you must transform every vector into a quaternion form (do a quaternion-quaternion multiplication). If you have 1000 vectors, you have to perform three operations (change of form+multiplication+change of form) 1000 times, whereas if you had a matrix you would only have to compute it once.

Good luck.

EPHERE

------------------------------------
ibmr.net

The question was 90% curiosity and 10% implementation. Now that I know it is that much slower I probably won''t use it, but thank you very for answering my question.

quote:
Original post by EPHERE
This method is sufficient, however you must transform every vector into a quaternion form (do a quaternion-quaternion multiplication). If you have 1000 vectors, you have to perform three operations (change of form+multiplication+change of form) 1000 times, whereas if you had a matrix you would only have to compute it once.

Why would you do that? There is no problem in computing the quaternion once as you would do with a matrix, and use it to rotate the vector.

Converting the vector to a quaternion is only stupid if you want performance. Instead, just write an inline method in the quaternion class that rotates a vector explicitly.

Simply perform the multiplication (a + bi + cj + dk)*(0 + xi + yj + zk)*(a - bi - cj - dk) by hand until you get something like: (...) + (...)i + (...)j + (...)k. The new vector's components are the coefficients in front of i, j and k respectively. It's rather tedious but not very complicated.

This will be faster than any matrix rotations, and the quaternion is less than half the size of a 3x3 matrix.

[edited by - aleph on December 5, 2002 1:48:42 PM]

Maybe there''s something here I don''t get. I''m assuming that the x,y, and z variables there are the vector components. Are a,b,c, and d the quaternion components. Then what is i,j, and k?

i, j and k are the counterparts to the imaginary number i in complex numers. The difference is that quaternions have three different imaginary parts.

With complex numbers i*i = -1. With quaternions you have a whole set of similar rules, namely:

i*i = j*j = k*k = -1
i*j = k
j*k = i
k*i = j
j*i = -k
k*j = -i
i*k = -j

Thus, for example (5 + 3i)*(2 + 5k) = 5*2 + 5*5k + 3i*2 + 3i*5k = 10 + 25k + 6i - 15j = (10, 6, -15, 25).

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!