• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirectDraw Bltfast speeds.

This topic is 5550 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I’ve run into a very frustrating problem with DirectDraw Bliting. I’ve created a Widowed DirectX surface that is 600x800. When I have a ->Bltfast to draw my two largest images, one is a full 800x600 and the other 520x520, the speed of the bliting drops off very steeply. So steeply that on a Intel 233 based system using a Voodoo3 board my from rate drops from 30 fps (with neither images) to 12 FPS with both. With the smaller of the two images being drawn I get 20 FPS and with just the larger being drawn I get 16 FPS. What I’d like to know is what is going on here and how can I get better performance?

Advertisement
Copying an image from system memory to video memory is SLOW. Make the surface in video memory and see if it helps

i''m doing something similar (with 1280x1024x32 and a 1GHz machine without a problem)

but to your problem:
you could try to draw only the parts of the bitmap which need to be redrawn. this way you''ll have more blt operations, but should come out faster because you''re moving less data...

hope that helps a little

• Advertisement