• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lpsoftware

Inside Direct3D

This topic is 6931 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

(1)I just got the bookInside Direct3D and so far I''ve read chapters 1, and 2. The author confuses the reader a little with so many different classes, .h files, and .cpp files to add to the main source file (with WinMain) just to show a blinkin'' window. This is my question: I''ve always just created a WindowProc() function, the message handler, and the creation of the window in one file without all the other files, and I was wondering if I could just do it my old way without using the author''s way and still be able to understand the next chapters. (2)The D3D Framework which is presented in the book takes care of a lot of stuff like window creation, message handling, enumerating directdraw and direct3d objects, and setting up surfaces, palettes, etc. Is this hunk of code accepted and used by many programmers, or is it just some library that the less brave ones use? (3)Other gripes: The File:About menu that comes with all the sample programs with complete credits and legal information for the game RoadRage. I quickly took that out Phew. Martin

Advertisement
That''s exactly what I thought when I read it. Try to get through it, you''ll be glad you did. In the end, which ever way you code it is probably "the best". Take what you want from his examples, as there is some really good stuff there.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!