• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tstrimp

glut & Direct Input

This topic is 5797 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Initializing Direct Input requires a windows handle. I was wondering how I get that handle when opening a window in a console app using glut.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Are you sure you want to mix GLUT and DirectInput? GLUT is platform-independent and has its own input routines.

No I'm not sure. Can you name another good Input API? Maybe I missed some stuff when I was reading but I didn't think GLUT had as powerful input capabilities. Most of everything I find on glut is graphics related.

[edited by - tstrimp on December 4, 2002 8:17:35 PM]

www.libsdl.org

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/kea/kea.html
http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html

I''m not sure, but the site said that was a graphics/audio api. I really need input.

I wrote a small program move a box to where my cursor was pointing at in the window using GLUT and the box lagged behind my cursor by a considerable amount. How much would this effect fast paced games?

SDL is a general purpose library that does everything that OpenGL does not do pretty much, input(including joysticks), window creation etc. There are plenty of examples on how to acheive the input in the examples section. SDL is much more like win32 in the way it polls for events over GLUT etc.

quote:
Original post by tstrimp
I''m not sure, but the site said that was a graphics/audio api. I really need input.

I wrote a small program move a box to where my cursor was pointing at in the window using GLUT and the box lagged behind my cursor by a considerable amount. How much would this effect fast paced games?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!