• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top-down Racing game, redrawing map (VB)

This topic is 5553 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Elo.. What is the fastest/best/most preferable way to redraw a map on the background. Explenation: I can either load up wall parts in an array, or just blit em right to a memory DC called "map" or something If i load up the array, i would redraw each n every wall part (inside the visible screen), every frame. Parts might get up to 1000-2000. If i load it onto a DC, i would blit the visible part from the Map DC every frame. What is faster/better ?? Help me!

Advertisement
First off, good to see you using Device Contexts instead of PictureBoxes.

If your wall-parts are in a single-dimensional array, a list, then maybe you should consider drawing a main "map". If they are in a 2-dimensional array, a tile map, then doing it via each-frame-redraw of everything in-view is better.

If at all possible, avoid the one-huge-ass-map idea. If needed, perhaps throw small groups of parts, sorted by 2D position, into an array of large (1/4 of the screen) "chunks", and draw just the chunks that are on-screen.

• Advertisement