• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wikkyd

Looking for a 3ds Max 5 .X file exporter or converter

This topic is 5645 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im looking for an exporter (or converter) that will convert from 3ds Max 5 .max files to direct3d .X files. Ive tried several and none of them work properly. I have tried the following: 1) Deep Exploration - Animations not exported properly. 2) Pandasoft Xporter - Distorts mesh texture coordinates. 3) DirectX SDK extras exporter - Crashes 3ds Max 5. Anyone know of any others that really work? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
There is a program conv3ds.exe that can convert 3ds into x, so you could export into 3ds and... yeah. it comes standard with DirectX # SDK

The past was unknown, the future was predicted.

Conv3ds.exe is not an option for meshes with skinning information.

thanks though

FYI the exporter at www.quest3d.com DOES work with Max 5. It is the ONLY exporter plug-in Ive found that ACTUALLY works!!!

So for those out there just starting into skinned meshes and needing such an exporter, save yourself endless hours of net searching and just go there.

[edited by - Wikkyd on December 7, 2002 4:03:12 AM]

Skinned meshes can properly be exported as .X using the 3dsmax4 exporter included within the tools folder that comes with the SDK extras. That is how the ''Skinned Mesh'' example "tiny.x" file was created. I have not tested it with 3dsmax5 however. But upon release of DX9, i''m sure they will release an updated version.

''Chris

Guest Anonymous Poster

Were is that Max 5 exporter on www.quest3d.com located? Is it included in the demo quest3d package? I can''t seem to find it.

The Max 4 exporter in the DirectX SDK Extras does not work with 3ds Max 5... It crashes it every time...

The quest3d exporter is located under Support->Support Page->Tools and exporters

this will show you how to fix the SDK exporter (I''m using Max 5 too)..it worked for me, but I ended up making a MAXscript to export to my own format.

http://www.mvps.org/vbdx/tutorials/compilex/index.html

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!