• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kate

How user friendly Linux?

This topic is 6934 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

quote:
Original post by Indeterminatus

But it will only work with DJGPP (that''s a GNU C++ compiler and you can download it FOR FREE [the download takes approximately 20 MB, Allegro needs about 1,5 MB]...)

Not so - the newer Allegro source tree can be built for DOS (DJGPP), Linux (GCC), Windows (VC++, MingWin32, etc).

Recompiling your code for the different platforms is usually a fairly minor task - it should be possible to have, from one codebase, XWindows, SVGALib, DirectX, GDI, and DOS versions!

DJGPP is DJ Delorie''s DOS port of the GNU C/C++ compilers, and as such isn''t available for Linux (unless someone has back-ported it for some strange reason).

The Allegro homepage is http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro, and DJGPP''s home is http://www.delorie.com

TheTwistedOne
http://www.angrycake.com

Advertisement
I actually though that DJGPP has been ported for Linux? Well, in case that it''s not, or it''s bad, or anything like that, then how can I compile Allegro files with Linux? What compiler should I use?

I''m not Linux user yet, but I''m starting installing after three weeks.

DJGPP is a port of gcc, which runs on Linux (and UNIX) just fine. So there isn't really any need to port it back.

Oh, and as a word of warning, if you install SuSE 6.0 or 6.1 theres a configuration bug for X-Windows that sometimes defaults menus, etc. to german. It wasn't that big a deal for me, just go through the manual in the X-Windows configuration section to see the screen shots of how to set it to English (or whatever language you choose). But then again, I know German, so it might be harder for you.

I've had no problems with SuSE 6.3, and on the whole like the distribution more than Red Hat or Slackware. I haven't given any of the others much more of a try.

Edited by - SiCrane on May 18, 2000 3:00:23 AM

I''ve been using SuSE 6.1, and I haven''t run into the German bug that SiCrane has mentioned.

"The world isn't run by weapons anymore; or energy, or money; it's run by little ones and zeroes, little bits of data -- it's all just electrons."

grrrrrr

I leave you people alone for 5 minutes and you almost start a distrobution war....

am I gonna have to repost the forum guidelines...

"Don''t start any distribution based arguments."

besides, everyone knows Caldera OpenLinux is best.... *ducks*

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!