• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RajanSky

Little tennis demo- looking for ideas, feedback

This topic is 5824 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I am making a tennis game. Today I whipped up a little demo of a ball bouncing around on the court so I could make sure the physics work correctly: http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~rsharma/projects/GBATennis/tennis.exe The game itself is going to be for the GBA but I am using the PC for prototyping since it''s much faster and easier to debug etc. The demo is REALLY simple, but I think it shows enough to give you the gist of what kind of game it is. It''s not playable, you just watch it, and to exit you press ESC. Personally I think it looks boring. I mean, it''s just like every other tennis game. I want this one to be different, maybe even a little "crazy"- like you could slam the ball and have it burn a hole through the net or something =) Or the game could be funny, I don''t know. Anyone have any cool ideas for the game? I''d really appreciate any suggestions or feedback! Thanks a lot! Raj

Advertisement
Neato. It's fun just watching the ball bounce around.

Some dumb ideas:
Put in a fighting theme to it? So that you have "Streetfighter-esque" button combination special moves that allow you to do specialize shots (like that burn a hole through the net shot).

Or maybe theme the whole thing with an edgy and violent theme? Like Outlaw Golf. Apparently that game was popular enough to spawn Outlaw Volleyball.

Hey! You're from my alma mater. Hurry up and get into the industry so you can get your game into the glass case in DCL

[edited by - beantas on December 5, 2002 8:52:04 AM]

Hey beantas,

Thanks for the ideas =) That streetfighter idea is actually kind of cool, I think. Might be kind of hard to pull off but it would be neat. Actually I''ve seen one game (only released in Japan) where they had these huge-ass animation sequences of a guy smacking a ball, it was basically a spoof of Dragon Ball Z. Like, as you play, your power meter goes up and once it''s full you press some key combo to unleash some crazy attack.

Wow that''s cool you''re from U of I. I haven''t met that many game programmers around here. I think people here seem to think games aren''t serious business, maybe that''s just me though.

Hmm, so are you working in the game industry? Got any interesting projects you''re working on? =)

Raj

Hey, looks good!

First thing I noticed (bieng a tennis player myslef ) was that the ball was going very high relative to the net... Probobly just the way you have it bouncing off of the walls, but something you might consider. If your not going for any realisticness, but instead a lot of gameplay then I guess it is better the way you have it as you get a better idea of where the ball is, how high it is, where it''s going ect. Definately soe shots you should consider:

flat (no spin) medium rate of drop, normal bounce
slice (dropper - backspin) quick rate of drop, bounces towards the player who hit it and sometimes to the side (if the person who hit it intends for it to)
topspin - quick rate of drop, much faster than either of the previous two. will normally bounce higher the ore topspin there is on it... might even gain some speed after bouncing
lob - really high shot to get the ball over the guy at the net or to give some time to get back to the middle
overhead - hit when the ball is over the person''s head... goes extreely fast and norally towards the backof the court.

hope this helps

if your a tennis player you will probobly already know this but it was fun to type

Yeah even with Volition in town, no one was really into game programming. Probably better that way. Less competition.

Recently broke into the game industry as a programmer. As a side project, I was working a 2D game which is surprisingly similar to The Adventures of Bobo. Any chance I could "borrow" your code?

beantas-

That''s cool congrats on breaking into the industry! What company are you working at? What kind of stuff do you do?

Anyways if you would like the source code for Bobo, then we can surely discuss it. E-mail me at Rajs20@aol.com. The directx wrappers and pathfinding class are well-commented since I wanted to reuse them over several projects.. The rest of the code is kinda crappy though, since I never planned to reuse it or show it to anyone.

Raj

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!