• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bower12345

First DirectX Game - Need Comments!!!!

This topic is 5739 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Folks, I just recently coded up a simple version of Breakout using directdraw. I would like some input on how you think I did(being that it is my first directx app) and what I can do to improve it. Thanks! The Link to it is: http://cs.wpunj.edu/~bowersom/DirectX Breakout.exe Mike

Advertisement
Not bad at all, i''ve been meanin to make my first game but I''m busy with school...finals and all.

As for suggestions, you might want to not have to game start as soon as the program is opened......maybe wait until a button is pressed, and also when you miss the ball (it hits the bottom of the screen) maybe not have it bounce back up, but instead, you go on to using your second of three or how ever many balls, and once you''re outta balls, game over. Just the basic stuff like that. Any extra things you wanna add is up to you, like keeping score, special items (getting 2 or 3 balls at once, etc.).

But overall for your first game, nice job. I hope my first game can at least run, like yours did.

- Dan
He who laughs, lasts

Checked out your game. Cool stuff. Besides having a splash screen to click before game starts, definitely fix the bounce when it drops below the paddle, you should call for a ''reset'' on the ball object. Also, for practice, you could implement some DirectSound into it Maybe a paddle hit and a ball-to-block hit sound. Even some DirectMusic too (some sort of corny breakout midi option). Good work though, check out my tic-tac-toe i finished a few weeks back. After finals wrap up next week ill be starting work on a 3d game of sorts, haven''t had time to design the concept work yet. Anyhow, would you guys mind checking out my game too while you''re at it?

http://www-scf.usc.edu/~cball/directx/TicTacToe.zip

Let me know what you think.

''Chris

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!