How much do you earn?

Started by
23 comments, last by dcgeek 21 years, 4 months ago
quote:Original post by dcgeek
How much do YOU earn?

i am a student, and i (right now) don''t work as a game programmer. even if i do, i don''t care how much i earn. I just want to make games.

quote:
wow... programmers really earns a lot of money...

depends on the company where you work. i read an interview in gamedev mag some time ago, and it said that game programmers generally made less money than programmers. If you work in Activison, you earn less money than in Silicon Valley.
Shortly, no they don''t earn a lot of money.

Want big money? go business.

My compiler generates one error message: "does not compile."
Advertisement
I saw on TechTV today that the an entry level position in the game industry can be anywhere from $40k to $70k, but this included artists too.

As for hating the other game companies and bitching about rival games, and not playing games, I refuse to see how you could make a good game with this attitude. Seems to me that you would need to play other games to get a feel of what''s going on, and what people like, as well as stay competitive.
______________________________"Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains" - J.J. Rousseau
I beg to differ with that "average salary" for business related programmers. That''s not quite accurate. Starting salary is way below $75,000, and it also varies a LOT depending on which state you work in. It is true though that programmers can earn anywhere from $35K to above $100K, but average starting salary is definitely not $75K. That''s a bit high. I work for a business software company and liaise with many similar companies, ranging from large to huge. I would say average is about $60K.

There can be only one.
There can be only one.
quote:Original post by Scheermesje
DON''T DO IT FOR MONEY

Do you want to go to your work every day, work that you hate but "I earn a lot of money so I don''t mind" attitude?

You will not come far with such an attitude.

You need to love your work, if you like making games you won''t do it for money but you will do it because you like it. And then, when you become a good programmer they will pay you wat you earn. But please, change your attitude.

$650 a month...still we love CSN everytime the money arrives!! (No more nudles for a few weeks!!)
______________________________Only dead fish go with the main-stream.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement