• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ritual Magic

Wheeeee! Just got my new book! :)

This topic is 5735 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

"Programming RPGs in DirectX" - been waiting for it now for 5 weeks (Hey, I live in Ireland - it''s hard to get stuff shipped to the boonies). *Goes and buries himself in C++ for Christmas* RM. ------------------------------------------------------------ Yes. it''''s true, I DO wield the ugly stick. And I see I have beaten you with it before!

Advertisement
Yep, it''s a good book I''ve bought it two weeks ago and I''m halfway trough it.

There are really some good things in it, only sometimes he said: ''just set it to ....'' and doesn''t explain it.. But besides that it''s really a good book

Sounds good that it''s a good book since I will most likely (99.99999%) get it for christmas I just have one question and that is if there are any chapters on ''engine design/writing'' in the book and if so, is it good? I''ll get the book anyway but I''m a bit curious about that part.

''Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.'' -Rich Cook
[Taken from GameDev''s random quotes.]

He teaches you the farious things you need for direct Graphics, Sound, Input and Play. Then he shows you the gamecore with all those things implimented into classes and in the latest chapters of the book he writes a complete game with it.

So yeah, there are some things on engine design

About the only thing that I wished he had covered better is better world handling. The world he implemented in the game that he developed at the end only had screen-sized zones (unless I''m mis-remembering). I don''t believe it went over movable camera either (been a while since I went through it), but maybe that''s too specific for an RPG book.

Mine arrived today!!!!!!!!! YAY!

tcache
Contact Me
-----------
Games don''t affect kids. If Pac-man had affected us, we''d all be sitting in darkened rooms munching pills and
listening to repetitive electronic music. -- Kristian Wilson(Nintendo Inc., 1989)

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quick question: are the codes in this book writen in C or C++?
thanks

They are written in C++. He includes a C++ primer in the beginning of the book. Assumes you are familiar with C though.

Quiggy.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!