• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DarkSlayer

Q. How much free video memory do you got?

This topic is 5648 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm doing a DirectDraw 7 tilebased game. With win32 api. ...and suddenly it popped into my head: "How much video memory does the video card have, and how much is free?" Why do I bother at all...I mean...a tile game doesn’t necessarily waste that much space does it? If you have a resolution of 1600 x 1200 with 32bit colour, that would use 7,3MB of the memory. A front buffer, a back buffer, and a buffer where you keep your different tiles….. it should be difficult finding a silly graphics card that could not run this silly game……. But I have 128MB on my overpriced video card ( I got it cheap though ), and if I want to make a buffer in video memory that could take advantage of the free memory, how would I then measure total memory and free memory? With my game I could take a 150x150 map, with 32x32pxl tiles, 32bits images, and store it in video memory….that would use almost 90MB of the memory…… I could also see other games taking advantage of free video memory as well. So how do I do it? There is a function in directx which is IDirectDraw7::GetAvailableVidMem. But it looks like it returns video memory + system memory reserved for the video card, so that wasn’t entirely easy. So how does the pro’s doing it? Creating huge silly surfaces and see which one of them returns a “out of memory” and not? Can’t say that would be all that smart thing to do….. how could I then create a game and let it take advantage of graphics card with 256MB or 512MB of video memory? Another question on the side here, if I create a ton of surfaces in video memory to the brink of no free memory available , and someone then use alt+tab or whatever, how can I be sure that tings stay “correctly” when my program receives “the focus” again? Bring out your dead! Bring out your dead! [clang] Bring out your dead! [clang] Bring out your dead! [clang] Bring out your dead! [clang] Bring out your dead! -= Monty Pyton: Holy Grail =- [edited by - DarkSlayer on December 6, 2002 2:13:29 AM]

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!