• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Very Important,please reply.

This topic is 5645 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently going to choose which path to take for programming a 3d engine.I am thinking of C# and OpenGL.However i want the professional opinion from people working currently in the field whether it is possible to find job or master degree as a 3d game programmer with C#.Since C# is going for ANSI I dont think that it will be a problem about portability however anyone that has any idea about how DX9 is going to implement C# please reply. In other words,C# and OpenGL has a future?Lets face it C++ is complicated.

Advertisement
C# or C++... it doesn''t matter what language you specifically learn. You need to develop general problem solving skills and learn (by writing lots of code yourself) how to apply those in a computer program.

Don''t worry too much about which language (I mean don''t go off and learn Pascal, stick to C++ or C#) Learn how to program and learn the math and theory of 3D. Do this in whatever language you choose.

I will say this though, as someone just learning game programming now (been a professional software developer for 9 years though) that most everything I find on the net or in books right now is heavily slanted toward C++. I guess C# is relatively new, but rest assured C++ is not going away any time soon.

I hope this helps.

My vote goes for C++ and DirectX.

I haven''t heard of any companies that are planning to shift to using C#, nor can I think of any reason why they would want to.

Why they would want to? Efficiency my friend, if you can develop code in a fast safer method why wouldn''t you go that route? Why did people switch from C to C++? Because it cut''s code bloat in half through OOP. I wouldn''t highly doubt that the industry would switch from C++ to C# in the future, maybe not the near future but I wouldn''t doubt it.

Also I highly agree with the above poster that you should learn how to solve problems. Learning general problem solving skills in c/c++/c# is what you need to worry about concurrently not what language is the future of gamedevelopment(in my opinion). I feal having a strong background in C++ it is easy to make the switch to c#''s managed code, and still maintaining all the general problem solving skills that you have aquired.

What is the difference between C++ and C#?
Is it just like switching for C to C++ or is it a totally different language?

My funnies:
"My mom was a ventriloquist and she always was throwing her voice. For ten years I thought the dog was telling me to kill my father."
and:
"The longest word in the english language is the one that follows the phrase, ''''And now a word from our sponsor''''."

Guest Anonymous Poster
C# compiles to managed code, similar to Java''s bytecode and it
runs on the .NET platform, similar to the Java runtime environment. It´s doesn´t compile to native win32 code, that´s why it sucks. The simplest apps run slow like hell both on
.NET and Java.

What is Managed C++ by the way and how this affect the game community.
Also,from what I''ve reading DX9 will use C# apart from C++ to write code.Anyone knows more about this?

quote:
Original post by Stranger
What is Managed C++ by the way and how this affect the game community.

Managed C++ roughly means the program manages the memory on its own. so, if you dynamically allocate a block of memory, you don''t need to delete it, the program delete it by itself.
It won''t affect the game community because games don''t use managed C++. it''s not wise to use it in games because it''s too slow for games.

My compiler generates one error message: "does not compile."

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!