DirectX and OpenGL

Started by
5 comments, last by neonfaktory 21 years, 4 months ago
This pertains to both DX and OGL, so I thought I''d post it here. Simple question: Who/How much of an audience will I lose by doing my graphics solely in OpenGL as opposed to DirectX? I''m moving on from DirectDraw for some hardware accellerated 2D functions, and the choice was between DirectX 8 and OpenGL... DX8 looks daunting, so I was wondering who won''t be able to play my game as a result, if I were to go with OpenGL. Basically, will I lose a group of people? Thanks for any info you can provide.
weee!
Advertisement
You wouldn''t be losing any audience; in fact, you''d be gaining an audience. OpenGL games can work on Windows, Macintoshes, Linux, and probably other OS''es. Just make sure you use a multi-platform windowing system such as GLUT, or preferably, SDL.

- Andy Oxfeld
SWEET! Me = Sooper Happy, woo!
weee!
How dare you leave CDX!

Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.
Always remember, you''re unique. Just like everyone else.Greven
Sigh. Just because something looks daunting doesn''t mean it is daunting. I''m not saying one is better than the other (but we all know which one is ).

¬_¬
Yeah don''t we love MS
Haha, Greven - I recognize YOU. I''m not leaving it - you replied to my "Mix and Match" post at CDX group; I''m gonna let CDX handle input, sound (maybe), and networking, but OGL for GFX. weee!
weee!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement